Simple clock mod for Marantz CD-94 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
hop333 is offline hop333  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Simple clock mod for Marantz CD-94

I know some people have modified the clock on the CD-94 and there are some threads here that describe that but I can't justify something like 80 for the TriChord clock because I can build a really nice modern outboard DAC for that.

I wonder if there are any cheaper clock solutions, either pre-made or possibly some circuits that use the original crystal etc but improve it's performance with extra components on a new board and where I can inject the clock back to the same pins to keep it all relatively simple.

TIA
Old 14th November 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Discrete Low Jitter Clock GB

General noise reduction, and perhaps an independent power supply for the existing clock as might be a good start. There's been some good discussion on the related issue of I2S attenuation that's worth reading.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The cheapest way to improve the clock is to give it its own dedicated powersupply. I have done this on the 63 to good effect. You will need the circuit diagram for your player and trace the powersupply to the crystal. If it shares power with other parts of the system, then you can disconnect the clock from this and give the clock its own regulated supply.
Cheers
Old 15th November 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The original clock is part of the digital filter chip SAA7220B/P. The best option is to replace it to an external clock with separate low-noise PSU. I found some interesting description here:

http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/1541%...ng_03.2ver.pdf
Old 15th November 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
hop333 is offline hop333  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There seem to be quite a few options. Has anyone done comparative measurements on e.g. jitter & phase noise and compared to the original simple circuit?

Hide this!Advertise here!