Non OS Dac and AMT tweeter: any harm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm also considering to build a Non-Os dac and I have the same question.

This is what Wim de Haan says:

http://www.homestead.com/whaan/files/44k1_dac.html

Cons : Sakura Audio Systems mentions the following about their oversampling-free DAC : "Since it does not have any digital/analog filters, there is an energy concentration of about 1/3 of the operating musical power at around 22 kHz where the return noise situates. In case your speaker has exotic tweeters (ribbon, piezzo, etc.) which extend far beyond 20 kHz, check the tweeter's power handling capacity and the amplifier's power rating. If your amplifier's power rating exceeds far more than tweeter's power handling capacity, there is a possibility that the tweeters can be damaged at certain sound level. Please contact your dealer or Sakura Systems before you connect Progression into your system if you have any concerns on this matter."
Other thing is that this DAC just can't reproduce a 5kHz or higher sinewave, even a 1 kHz sinewave is doubtful and a 20 kHz sinewave is really @^*%. Though the sound is great, must say this is all very strange to me.

Doede Douma ( www.dddac.de) says the same as Peter: no problem as long as you are not going to use at (very) high volume levels...

Fedde also has a warning on his website.

I've been talking about this with a friend who has a lot more experience with electronics. He says: If you are going to use it with ribbons, measure them first. If necessery put a passive filter at the output and you will be save. In his opinion this is a good solution. Maybe someone has another solution....

By the way, I only hear warnings about the matter. Are there any people out there who actually encountered problems?

Jan

These considerations are quite OK, but since the spectral energy of the non-OS signal is independent from the kind of driver even a cone or dome tweeter should be driven with the same signal.

The damage that might occour is due to the fragility of the drivers or to the fact that these drivers don't have a "impedance" filter bilt-in (Le increases impedance at higher frequencies)?

I'm waiting for other opinions

Cheers

Andrea

Andypairo said:

The damage that might occour is due to the fragility of the drivers or to the fact that these drivers don't have a "impedance" filter bilt-in (Le increases impedance at higher frequencies)?

Of course I was meaning "built-in"...

I think I should add a explaination for what I was meaning with "impedance" filter (well probably I wasn't that clear:xeye: ) : the increased impedance at higher frequencies (in dome tweeters) lowers the power delivered to the driver (and thus the damage risk)

Cheers

Andrea / who in these days has problems expressing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.