Yamaha DVD-S2300MKII Tray Won't Open - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha DVD-S2300MKII Tray Won't Open

This unit turns on and displays WELCOME as it should. Hitting the tray button displays OPEN and CLOSED, but there is no action on the part of the tray nor any apparent noises from the motors. The SM says there are trouble codes that can be displayed (ie H01) that would indicate a tray loading problem. There is also a service mode that gives an error code of 01 F601 which is "ECC Error undefined sector id is requested." I removed the tray assembly and measured 3V at the tray "OPEN" switch. I also measured resistance at each of the two motors, the spindle M2601 (13.3 ohm) and traverse M2602 (12K ohm) in circuit. There is no power at either motor when simply on, nor displaying tray open or closed. There isn't power between points 2 and 8 of the ribbon cable in any mode.

Is it possible that the unit senses a motor fault and does not deliver power? These Panasonic spindle motor assemblies (RXQ0742) appear to have failed often early in life. This unit may be ten years old. It could have the same assembly as the S1200 and even some Panasonic models, perhaps the RP62 and RP91.

If the assembly is clearly the culprit, is the RXQ1218KIT from MCM an appropriate replacement?

Any additional testing that I can do prior to simply replacing the spindle assembly? If I remove the motors that are soldered to a circuit board, can I test separately or have I already determined there is a problem with the traverse motor? Voltage of these motors for testing? Will I definitely need a test cd (don't have one) if I change the spindle assembly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Underside 800.jpg (194.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic 800.jpg (101.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by DreadPirate; 5th November 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 5th November 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

I've done a bit more digging on this one. I removed the circuit board and retested resistance at the motors.

M2602 which was giving the odd resistance reading continued to do so. I then applied 3V to each motor. It is important when doing this to observe the motor polarity, apparently reversing can damage the motor. Both motors operated. I went ahead and re-measured resistance and got a steady 19.7 ohm on the M2602 which previously was
unmeasurable or measuring high. Possible "dead spot"? I also tested the so called "open" switch, it is normally open, but when the lever is engaged, shows continuity, so I'm guessing it is okay.

I reassembled the unit and I'm now getting a different result. The display moves from "WELCOME" to "READ" and the spindle motor is heard, though quite faintly, a very quiet motor. Hitting the tray button results in display of OPEN and CLOSED, but the M2602 traverse motor does not budge. I measured voltage while in these modes and the motor did not see any (0V), it is not getting power.

I reseated all the exposed ribbon connectors, no change.

Hide this!Advertise here!