Kodak PCD carousel has a CDM-9 laser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is an FYI for all those looking for replacement Philips CDM-9 lasers. I did not want to pay the high price charged for these used parts, many coming from overseas. On the common DAC/laser list available via google, the Kodak PCD players are shown to use CDM-9 lasers. Kodak also made 5-disc carousels that are not all listed on that list and they are available inexpensively. I bought a PCD-5870 and took a small risk. I found this unit contains a CDM-9 laser.

If you look at the hole in the carousel tray it gives some indication of the type of laser assy used. There is no way to tell until you open it up, but in this case it worked out.

Incidentally the carousels are made in Belgium, very sturdy construction. Good carousel mechanics compared to some others I've seen. They use Philips SAA bitstream DACS and may work well for audio needs as well. Since using one of these to view Photo CDs on your TV isn't exactly a common use anymore, I suspect there are a lot of these available. I hope this helps the community.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.