Oppo's BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think electrolyts are fine if they are god quality. In my I/V stage there is 8 coupling electrolyts 2 for each phase. 10 Vdc on them. I prefer this solution instead a more complicated design. But I still do not like IC in a product like this.

We heard the Oppo 95 in our Hifi Club and nobody wished to buy it. I am pretty sure it is the analog stage.

You know, i did not liked ether its sound as it were out from the factory... That because I`ve started a "mod campaign" against the player I`ve just bought it.
This player (95) have some benefits, the best DAC chip at the moment, the transport, some connections possibilities, a very good video chip processor, and so on, but the analogue stage (power and after DAC processing) it were (is) not as it should be (in my opinion).
The 105 model it have even more improvements, an asynchronous DAC stage (still yet to see how it works...), better main processor, better transport, and so on, but it seems (from the first view) that the analogue stage is even worse than in precedent... Still yet to hear it, but for this one may buy it first... I think maybe I will do it at last... For the moment I`n not very decided. Anyway it may be modded this model too...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my I/V stage there is 8 coupling electrolyts 2 for each phase. 10 Vdc on them. I prefer this solution instead a more complicated design. But I still do not like IC in a product like this.

Do you have an discrete I/V stage? It may be more simple design when one use just opamps for a such stage.... Only two components: the op amp and its I/V resistor... Another one for final and that`s all...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It seems to me that 103 have not AC coupling on outputs... Those caps around the opamps are for sure decoupling ones on power rails. It looks like the designers were thinking to improve the outputs of an more expensive player model, mounting those AC separation caps on output channels...

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not sure about ya'all, but for the money, this is a pretty impressive piece of gear. While early in the "getting acquainted" phase, I am certainly liking what I am hearing.

With the right amp/speaker combo, this can act as a source/pre-amp combo for just about anything you can throw at it; shiny disks, optical/coaxial digital, HDMI, USB, NAS music server, etc. Quite the value proposition, or at least the potential for such.

Not to mention it also has video/surround possibilities. ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Two (unofficial) pictures of inside 105: clock area for stereo DAC and final stage - output caps...
One can observe in the clock circuit, a little more care from Oppo designers to supply the oscillator with more clean power from a low noise regulator right near to it. But disappointing the frequency of this oscillator: 54Mhz...
The same as in 95 model :confused:

Attachments

• final stage caps.jpg
    final stage caps.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 709
  • stereo - clock.jpg
    stereo - clock.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 698
Last edited: