Oppo's BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...

A couple of days ago I was talking to the head of DEQX, Kim Ryrie. It was about the fact that right now there are basically a choice between ESS "Sabre" or AKM "Velvet" chipsets, that is both ADC DAC chips. I heard the latest not yet released DEQX setup and it was entirely ESS based. We also talked about how important implementations are and that they used the ESS Sabre DAC's volume control and what a great achievement that it is, and that it was not accidental when they designed it. Hence ESS made it so much easier since they did not have to design a volume control. But we Oppo upgraders and users already know this. The basic ESS Sabre implementation by Oppo has been done very well for the most part. Add a few changes/things and it is almost like the beast within.

For some years I have been doing things to these Oppo players that nobody has done and it has never been done before. What is it about? To big a topic here, but basically there is a secondary form of jitter that is not suppressed and I have two VLSI engineers who have confirmed that it is real. One of them is a top chip and software designer for Intel and the other worked with Philips and designing their chips. It suppresses a glitch that occurs when the oscillator is connected to the DAC's clock input pin and the glitch occurs on every cycle and yes, removing it is the only time you hear, because you are not hearing it. You can hear it in the space of the recording, you can hear it when a piano note with sustain is struck and that you can hear it decay into nothing and that the tone changes during that decay (there is always a top quality piano in our home, so I know what a piano should sound like and how it behaves pitch wise). You can hear it on vocals and how words are formed in the mouth, and of course, on the bass. The clock signal coming out of the oscillator must not be connected directly to the clock input, it needs to be conditioned before it is connected. I am hoping that you guys will remember this because it is yet to come out you will. An engineer suggested last night that we need to do a white paper first and distribute that with a date on it. Then the question of intellectual property rights will be established. To Coris, yes perhaps you will be doing something yourself and perhaps with my collaboration.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't use the analog outputs just spidif, using the HDMI input there no problems with passing digital through
just using from the drive.

I connect a 4K latest generation Chromecast to the HDMI input and connect it to my WiFi. I then use Mconnect app on a phone or tablet (android) and able to cast to the Chromecast with a resolution up to 24/96. Mconnect works with both Tidal and Qobuz. Tidal's own app will only cast to Chromecast 16/44.1, that is why I use Mconnect app.