Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 93 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2014, 10:48 PM   #921
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

No problem about your last posts...

Yes, indeed, damping the transport device it bring some noticeable improvements (when playback from discs).
There is a mechanical design problem with the discs player in 105 (as in the earlier models).
I think I have explained this in the 95 thread. This transport it is mounted in a very rigid meaner inside the player enclosure. Oppo used some quite powerful springs in a wrong meaner, thinking this way it will be some damping... The springs only press very heavy the transport enclosure to the player cabinet, in a very rigid construction. Here is the big clue to be done some modifications.
Such mod is quite complicated, but it may bring the best results. I have replaced the original springs with some silicon dampers fabricated for hard discs use. As a result, the transport in my player just float free, sitting on these silicon things.

You may try to find the description of this mod in the 95 thread, I think in the beginning of it. There are some pictures there too.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:57 PM   #922
diyAudio Member

This mod is described here (actually in this thread):
Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...

and here:
Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...
Old 31st March 2014, 05:50 PM   #923
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Linear power module

I just installed the linear power module from Jae Hong Lee for the OPPO-105.
He describes it here: Jae H. Lee Blog :: OPPO 95, 105 and 105D LPM upgrade V. 3 and here: OPPOMOD - About
This is easily installed, and involves temporarily removing the multichannel board, and then permanently removing a support strut, and the original switching power supply for the digital board and the disc drive.
The unit is well-built, and uses the original cables for hookup.
After installation, disc playback especially seems improved, and in general the noise floor seems lowered.

Eric
Old 31st March 2014, 11:31 PM   #924
diyAudio Member

... and the temperature inside?
Old 1st April 2014, 12:12 AM   #925
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by eganz1 View Post
After installation, disc playback especially seems improved, and in general the noise floor seems lowered.
Probably quite a nice add-on, but my argument would be that I am achieving the same and possibility better, at much lower cost. So I believe is Coris.

Where is the worst noise? Identify that - and it may not be where you think it is. The solution some of us are using absorbs noise generated by the DAC itself and also acts as a second order filter attenuating noise from the power supply as it LC, relying on some inductance feeding the C. Then the remaining problem would possibly be airborne, but use a zero-feedback post-DAC circuit that won't suffer slew rate problems, and you have all bases covered.

Admittedly, that last bit may not be low cost - but IMO the best choice, no opamps.

Cheers, Joe

Old 1st April 2014, 01:28 AM   #926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganz1 View Post
Calling himself OPPOMOD - is that not a TM infringement?

Old 1st April 2014, 09:45 AM   #927
diyAudio Member

I do not want discourage (give up) eganz1, but I will express my point of view regarding the switching PSU in Oppo player, and in general in a digital system.

Feeding a digital system with linear power is only positive, thinking the quality of the approach. But when a digital system use quite much current, the efficiency of a serial PSU degrade much in such case. The big cons of a serial PSU is its heat dissipation for important currents.
On the top of this cons it come another one, which it negate the benefits of a cleaner serial PSU. A digital system is noisy by its way to work. This is a very solid fact! The only way to reduce the digital system noises is filtering, and shielding the eventual EMI noise generators. So, using a serial PSU, one feed the system with a clean power for a very noisy device/load. Benefit/result = 0 (nonsense). More, one get quite much heat from the working serial PSU...

What is to be done (more reasonable)? Minimise the noise generated by the switching PSU itself. Long connection wires between the PSU and the targeted circuits, is just bad. This is the case of Oppo players. Long connection wires act as good emission antenna for the HF noises of the SMPU. Solution: better power rails decoupling, shielding of sensitive circuits, better filtering out the HF noises.
In the Oppo player case, the SMPU is meant to power the mother board of the player, and the CD/BR transport (which it need quite important currents). The analogue stage (lower current hungry) it use already a separate serial PSU. This approach of the design is very reasonable. So it have to be.

In my opinion, the only improvement one it may bring to the digital stage, powered by a SMPU, is to specially care of powering the oscillators with a very good (low noise) local PSUs. This exclusively clocks dedicated PSUs it may be a serial regulator, shunt regulator, battery. The impact of cleaner power for the system clocks is quite high for both audio and video stages of the player.
I still think that the SMPU in Oppo is in the right place. Only some corrections it may be done to lower the SMPU EMI noises, even more. For production reasons, Oppo did not paid attention to such details...

Else, I think Oppo Company should react when somebody use its marketing name, to promote another or himself products... Or OPPOMOD it may have the right permission from the Oppo Co.? Anyway, this is another story and not our business...

Last edited by Coris; 1st April 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:11 AM   #928
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I do not want discourage (give up) eganz1, but I will express my point of view regarding the switching PSU in Oppo player, and in general in a digital system....

Hi Coris, pretty much agree with all you just said. Cheers, Joe

Old 1st April 2014, 02:59 PM   #929
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Coris,

The linear power supply runs cool. It has a heat sink inside which also wraps around the bottom and touches the bottom of the case. I added some Arctic Silver thermal interface material to couple the heat sink to the bottom of the case.
I wanted a solution that was easy and quick to install, as I didn't have time to goof around with the SMPS.

Eric
Old 1st April 2014, 04:33 PM   #930
diyAudio Member

That`s nice! I understand your point...

Hide this!Advertise here!