Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 06:37 AM   #61
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I found those my pictures published earlier in this forum. It were measured on the RCA output of (mod) BDP95.
One it show 21Vpp (high dynamic sound/orchestra) and another one 5Vpp (80Khz sinus played through DAC, from digital file)...

But I will measure again and I will present it here soon.
check this article here in DIYA out for what i'm talking about, it explains it far better than I can, since it doesnt seem to be making sense to you.

better than cluttering up the thread. 21vpp and your 25% volume setting before its very loud comment would mean terrible gain structure
Old 13th November 2012, 08:58 PM   #62
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

There were published some new pictures of the analogue stage of BDP105.
Now is possible to see what kind of capacity have the AC coupling caps... Just 100µF...

Is quite nice that Oppo care much to give more jobs to the modders. It will be enough work to be done with this new model too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLR2c.jpg (864.4 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg XLR2b.jpg (634.8 KB, 405 views)
Old 13th November 2012, 11:06 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now is possible to see what kind of capacity have the AC coupling caps... Just 100µF...

Is quite nice that Oppo care much to give more jobs to the modders. It will be enough work to be done with this new model too...
Hehe I heard Both a 95 and a 83 both modded but nothing modded in the analog stage.
The Quality was lousy. Why not remove all of the analog stage and use a new discret one ?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:28 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

It is, of course, possible to build an 'all discrete' analogue design. It is just a lot of trouble. Still, it should be better, IF it is done right.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:21 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Yep, have to agree. there's a whole new market opening up for modding these seriously compromised output stages.
I wonder how the 103 compares.

ModWright is already working on something.

Last edited by David Gatti; 14th November 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:35 AM   #66
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
Hehe I heard Both a 95 and a 83 both modded but nothing modded in the analog stage.
The Quality was lousy. Why not remove all of the analog stage and use a new discret one ?
This belong to an moded analogue (stereo) stage of 95... Is really very small.
Is just stupid to use something else than DC coupling for this analogue output (XLR/RCA) in a quite high end player. At last they should use non polarised caps. Such approach should look much more professional, than only throw on that outputs some usual 100µ caps.
With today components technology such design is just wrong!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I-V & final (1).jpg (88.2 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by Coris; 14th November 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:18 AM   #67
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's a manufacturer's quote from a review of the Burson Audio Conductor, on 6moons. It uses the same Sabre DAC as the Oppo 105.

"During the R&D process we tried all eight channels in multi-parallel. We found the sound to be overly colored and unnatural. Very ‘digital’ if I may say so. Hence we abandoned the 8-channel configuration and used the main 2 channels, which in our opinion sounds more organic and balanced."
Old 14th November 2012, 12:53 PM   #68
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha, I have no words...

thats a cop-out plain and simple.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:59 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

This last week, I met with the designers of the OPPO 105 analogue stage. They are competent, and well intentioned. However, the need for keeping cost within reasonable bounds, and adding features, limits what they CAN do themselves. I personally have used the 105: Stock, with STAX Lambda electrostatic headphones, and I will say it is the best player (of its type) that I have heard, including SACD.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:54 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
It is, of course, possible to build an 'all discrete' analogue design. It is just a lot of trouble. Still, it should be better, IF it is done right.

Hide this!Advertise here!