Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2013, 04:07 PM   #661
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that is very helpful. Surprising indeed, that the Silmics seem to be doing relatively well. I'll still give the Jantzens a try too.
Old 3rd September 2013, 04:01 PM   #662
diyAudio Member

Did someone try better diodes on the 2-channel board? Some modders even use SiC ones. I've had mostly good experiences with schottky's, so would like to try SiCs.

Is it also possible to upgrade the diodes in the main power supply, I mean the switching one? Would that be worthwhile?
Old 3rd September 2013, 04:49 PM   #663
diyAudio Member

Usually, higher quality diodes, especially high speed-soft recovery types really do make a difference in quality audio products. Parasound uses them, as well as Vendetta and the CTC Blowtorch, in all of my designs.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:16 AM   #664
diyAudio Member

BAT42 are really outstanding, but are limited with regard to the amount of current and max voltage they can sustain. They are obsolete. BAT 49 are close second. Really brilliant; I still use BAT42's from my gold stash whenever possible and safe to do.

RURP3060's are my favourite diodes for the valve heater's supply. Amazing difference between RURP's and the bog standard types...

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; 4th September 2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 5th September 2013, 01:52 AM   #665
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
I will be doing some measurements and they should be respectable. But will they be 'better' than the original LM4562? In what way? Static measurements don't tell the whole story - a decent measurement really only points to a credible design, not a great sounding design.

Cheers, Joe

Joe,

Make sure you use test set that actually has decent measurement capability
otherwise the exercise will be somewhat futile.

I'm happy to do them for you, I have a bal in / out PC based set up that
does better than -110dB loop through depending on levels and I'll be tweaking it for better.

This should be easily sufficient for open loop 844 in voltage gain config.

FWIW - if you really want great sound -and- great measurements, discrete
open loop is the way to go and it is absolutely possible to get close to the
9018's THD and DR limits.

It does take some lateral thinking though

T
Old 9th September 2013, 01:21 PM   #666
diyAudio Member

I have now tried Hovland Supercap 200v 1uF in the single ended outputs of the 105, and my experiences are different than those reprted here with Jantzen caps before. (I don't seem to be able to reach the page that contained that entry, sorry). I hear a definite increase in refinement, a richer midrange and slightly better resolution. The top-end is cleaner and has better clarity. With me, every recording sounds better, even poorer ones, and the sound in general is easier on the ear. In comparison, the Silmics sound a bit harsh and slightly rolled off.

Another thing. I have identified 4 of the rectifier diodes on the 2-channel board as 1N4006 (hopefully that's correct) but I cannot read the print on the other 4. Does anybode know what they are?

Thanks,

Maarten
Old 1st October 2013, 04:07 PM   #667
diyAudio Member

OK, another update. I have now also replaced the output caps on the balanced outputs by Hovland supercaps, and took the opportunity to replace the diodes on the stereo board by Cree SiC ones. Another improvement, I have to say. The diodes bring more authority and a very quiet background, especially in complicated passages. All together, my OPPO now sounds a lot better than before, with quite minimal upgrades. The increase in refinement is very worthwhile. Definitely something I can recommend.
Old 1st October 2013, 04:54 PM   #668
diyAudio Member

If you leave the circuit stock then you can simply eliminate the coupling caps. The last op amp sums the signal and gives basically zero offset.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:40 AM   #669
diyAudio Member

Yes, I know, but I review audio and do not want to take any risks with loaner power amps or loudspeakers. I also do not want to change the design of the player and have to limit myself to upgrading peripheral parts like output caps and diodes.
Still, I was surprised at the effect of these relatively basic upgrades.
Old 4th October 2013, 02:12 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenelectro View Post
Joe,

Make sure you use test set that actually has decent measurement capability
otherwise the exercise will be somewhat futile.
Hi Terry

You don't know what I have here?

Something that is pretty good.

Cheers, Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!