Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2013, 02:03 PM   #581
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have already tried with big success an 108Mhz (standard) oscillator for Ess9018, and then divided by 4 to get the clock frequency for MediaTek chip. (One may not forget that I`m running already my 95 on a 125Mhz clock for the DAC...)
It works wonderful this 108 Mhz as main clock, and I'm using now my 105 player clocked this way... Also found it the right I/V opamp. Just beautiful so far.

In fact I`m working now to find a solution to use the same main clock frequency for QDEO chip too. I actually found it the solution, I got a step forward in experimenting this, and it works. I'm only waiting now for having the right components in place, then some tests, and in the final, I intend to design a master clock kit for 105 (based for moment on an standard 108Mhz oscillator).
This project it may take a while I suppose. I will have the custom made 108Mhz SAW oscillator not before the end of this summer... But at least this is my plan for now.

PS. I think it may be designed a better (looking ) stereo stage too...

Last edited by Coris; 5th June 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 5th June 2013, 02:25 PM   #582
diyAudio Member

BTW, I may say something (positive ) about the original clock stage of the 105 model.
As I said before, the clock stage in 105 is quite elaborated design, and now I have the prove that it is.
I was thinking (having the 95 model in mind), that placing the clock very near ESS9018 it will be better... There was not true. The best way the DAC works (when about clocking) is to have the oscillator mounted in the place the designers have originally decided. It looks like this actual design it were optimised quite much to get the best in functioning of this tandem: oscillator - DAC. I do not use the original power system for the clock oscillator (I`m using battery). Even though I have powered the oscillator by my own, its place it still be best (grounding/clock output) in the original place.
So, a positive remark here for the Oppo`s (clock stage) designers...
Old 13th June 2013, 07:43 PM   #583
diyAudio Member

For those who want give it a try to another oscillator for DACs, here is the picture with some details:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC oscillator.jpg (741.8 KB, 436 views)

Last edited by Coris; 13th June 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:03 AM   #584
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Guys

I hope nobody gets their nose out of joint, by posting the feedback I am getting. I can't vouch for the results that others are getting and Ric also does them for clients and no doubt he is getting good results, as I am ceratin that Coris is. So getting additional feedback should be a good thing - the Oppo BDP-105 is a true MONSTER to upgrade, there has been nothing like it before. Thanks Oppo Digital.

By the end of this week will have done seven Oppo 105s and I have to say the feedback I am getting is unlike anything I have experienced since I picked up the first generation Philips CD Player using TDA1541A DAC and it must have been in 1986. Don't ask me how many players I have worked on, but nothing comes near to the reaction I am getting from upgraded users of the Oppo BDP-105.

Here is one I got last night after he got his on Saturday (I have toned it down a bit):

Hi Joe,

Reporting on the new Oppo 105 player, level 3.

I would like to say something intelligent or even talk in audiophile speak, but I just cannot describe it in any way that doesn't make me sound like some geeky audio reviewer. I am after all a simple man.

So lets just say its ******* awesome, holy xxxx this is left of field compared to any other player you have ever done for me - over the last 25 years that I have been coming to you.

After listening to the Oppo in your listening room, I could hardly contain my excitement and I was thinking to myself that this player would not sound as good in my own system – but no, it was xxxxxx awesome, WOW! Holy crap this is good!!!

I was up until 4am this morning trying all sorts of different configurations with my Apple TV and cable box - I was starting to keep the rest of the family up so had to settle for some movies and streaming through Pandora, which works a treat.

My Wyred4Sound DAC has been retired to my secondary system along with my Sony level 2 Terra Firma player and the FVP pre-amp and old mono blocks.

I have found that the Apple TV works better through HDMI and not with ‘optical in’ as you cannot utilise the full bandwidth through optical. The flip side is that you need to use the HDMI 1 Output to the Monitor/TV. If you do not - you don’t get the benefits of the Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor or the high resolution audio file formats such as Dolby digital or DTS high resolution and DTS-HD Resolution Master. Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output, thus reducing resolution. Solution is to just use HDMI to the Apple TV. I was streaming Blu-ray movies and Apple lossless files through iTunes. The sound and the movies look just as good. In fact the movies look better.

The free Oppo Remote from iTunes works a treat, once I got the player to talk to my Apple network.

Thank you Joe for another fantastic job, your hard work, your creative ingenuity and well thought-out audio design upgrades and modifications are much appreciated and always enjoyed in my home by all my family. It will get used every single day.

Regards

Paul

Maybe those additional comments about the usability will also be helpful to some.

The greatest thing is what I am doing is making people happy - and wanting to listen to music and saying they are rediscovering their library all over again. It's quite a buzz.

Cheers, Joe
Old 17th June 2013, 02:33 PM   #585
diyAudio Member

But Joe, you do not change only the oscillators in this player, right? Do you replace the existing post DAC analogue processing stages with something else?
To appreciate the feedbacks it will make sense to let us know (of course not in details) some of your main mods... Else, I fully agree that Oppo 105 as it is from the producer, it have a huge potential to very high quality levels.
I have already sold few of the 54Mhz SAW oscillators, and I`m very excited to hear the feedbacks from those guys too...
I have seen recently that Epson produce some new type oscillators with 1ps or even lower jitter specifications... Not so bad!
Old 17th June 2013, 04:10 PM   #586
diyAudio Member

Joe, that is the kind of response that I get from my customers that keeps me going. IF I didn't get good feedback from grateful audiophiles, then it would all be a waste of time. Keep up with what you are doing, I wish that I could hear some of those modifications in my own unit.
Everyone should know that OPPO does a wonderful engineering job. It is just that they don't get the feedback about their products, except later on, after the engineering is done. IF engineering did everything, then there would not be any need for 'tweaks and mods', and IF test equipment could measure everything that the human ear can resolve and get excited by, then OPPO and every other audio company would not need 'golden ears' and 'experienced tweakers' to make further progress in making truly perfect audio reproduction.
Old 18th June 2013, 01:07 PM   #587
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Joe! That's impressive. Being an owner of older VSE Level 6.5, and 6.5+ Sonys, I know that this is some very high praise indeed if these are blowing away some of those units.

Sorry if this question is slightly OT: Might I inquire as to what kind of reaction have you been getting to your Level 2 modified 103's with the SAW clocks installed? Is it your opinion that these are these capable of (subjectively) outperforming stock 105s when modified?

Last edited by TarnishedEars; 18th June 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 18th June 2013, 02:36 PM   #588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarnishedEars View Post
Is it your opinion that these are these capable of (subjectively) outperforming stock 105s when modified?
Thanks, much appreciated.

I have to say that the Oppo 105 is on another level above anything we have done before.

But right now, what fires me up is that we may influence the next generation of Sabre DAC equipped Oppos, the challenge is to do it without materially adding cost to the player, as the Oppos need to occupy a particular part of the market.

I may be doing myself out of future work, but right now I am sketching out some interesting things and have a discussion here about it.

So this forum should continue being interested - I will post a 'plan' about this time next week and get some feedback.

But re your question, does the 103 with SAW etc better the stock 105. Let me say emphatically YES!

It has to, as it costs more than a stock 105 - but the difference is not small. But then again, the potential in the 105 is even greater when unlocked.

The interest and the emails, phone calls, this is unprecedented. But it centers around the 105. But not everybody can afford it, the 103 is no poor cousin.

Cheers, Joe
Old 18th June 2013, 02:59 PM   #589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Joe, that is the kind of response that I get from my customers that keeps me going.
Yep, then you know exactly what it feels like.

I am sketching out some ideas about how Oppo could take the player to a significantly higher level, at no added cost to manufacturing. It builds on what Oppo has already done, but the most challenging is the post-DAC circuit, and I do have something inexpensive, IC based but no feedback. Also using Epsom Toyocom SAW oscillators and get both clocks right. Really can't vouch for SAWs from other sources. They are definitely cheap enough, especially in Qty.

I have previous experience in design and manufacturing, so I am well attuned to the needs involved and cost sensitivities and practicalities. So what I want to put on the table is based on those real world requirements.

Give me about a week and I am going to sketch it out. A very simple post DAC circuit, but also very novel with a surprising twist (I think you will like it), one 8 pin SMD device per channel, low component count. The only downside is that the coupling capacitor will be necessary as it makes for the simplicity that is so important. I envision maybe a deliberate small DC offset (good to have as bias for cap anyway) - but the DIYer's will be able to later use a simple technique that can trim it away, and make it direct coupled. But the cap will stay in production units for reasons that will be obvious.

I can try it on a '105 - make that I will try it. Installation is quite easy.

The next generation Oppo could turn out to be a sensation if things work out, and I have a good feeling about this.

Cheers, Joe
Old 6th July 2013, 03:27 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

Hi Coris!

Have been reading your post with much enthusiasm. Powering the clock circuit with battery is very interesting. Very low internal resistance of a battery will surely give good result. BTW, have you ever considered using super capacitor (or ultra capacitor) in the range of some 10 to 50 Farad instead of battery? Super cap is usually rated for 2,7 Volt, so can be connected serial to have 5.4V rating. For 3.3V application, it has enough margin.
Super cap has uncertainty for audio use but I hear some good result.

Hide this!Advertise here!