Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2013, 06:21 AM   #391
diyAudio Member

There is a book by Miguel Angel Ruiz called The Four Agreements. I highly recommend everyone read it. The "truth" shall set you free. What others say is just a bunch of words (including these)....if we take it too personally then we lose ourselves. We don't need to defend ourselves. We are beautiful, just the way we are. I am sorry, if you feel I have some personal thang going on here. I am interested in the truth, all truths including audio truth (our direct listening experience is the only truth in audio), yes....but more and absolutely the most important thing to get is how incredible you are. We are beautiful beyond words. Life is incredible! 3 humans being born every second. How many ants? How much love and joy is there? Is it infinite? Seems so.

Yes, nothing I say has anything to do with you. It is what you say to yourself, moment to moment that determines your happiness. I wish you nothing but happiness.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:19 AM   #392
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Excuse me, but did I ever say that I use a gain of 250?
No, of course... I'm not even say that... I expressed my opinion to the information/idea/picture in your post... It is only a discussion.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:28 AM   #393
diyAudio Member

Sorry Joe, you may not take all this discussions so dramatically. Is only changing the ideas. That`s all. Nobody accuse. Just "for" and "against" opinions... I can not see something wrong in this. But anyway, you are free to have your own opinion too...

You have seen this before for sure: There is a guy here who felt the need (he think maybe he can save the world from the Bad guy) to follow almost all my contributions in few threads in a time been, and attacked that systematically. I have been accused to do foolish thing, unprofessional, and so on... I think it is a big difference between such behaviours and having discussions about a subject or another. One may be free to express his opinions, and accept other opinions too. There is the main meaning in a Forum...

Last edited by Coris; 9th May 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:53 AM   #394
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Can I ask a quick one about the use of the Oppo rather than modding it?
What app/hardware do you guys use to 'push' content to the Oppo to play?
I've been experimenting with KooRaRoo which works well but has a less attractive GUI.

jan
Old 9th May 2013, 08:11 AM   #395
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
No, of course... I'm not even say that... I expressed my opinion to the information/idea/picture in your post... It is only a discussion.
Exactly - it was only a discussion.

It was not about any Yamaha that I have never laid eyes on.
Old 9th May 2013, 08:21 AM   #396
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Hello,

I've been experimenting with KooRaRoo which works well but has a less attractive GUI.

jan
Good question(s).

With the '105 a lot of avenues open up. For the '95 I most put all my files on a 2TB hard drive and all of them at my finger tips - about 1400+ CDs and albums, a fair sprinkling of 24/96 and 24/192 Flac files. It's great.

But the '105 there are things that I now have to come to grips with. I was thinking JRiver as I have a friend who is already down that way - he says that it uses 64 bit processing. But pushing content is also very new to me.

It just shows that we hard-ware guys may also need help in certain directions? I do know that the '105 is going to see me exploring a lot of stuff.

Cheers, Joe
Old 9th May 2013, 09:01 AM   #397
diyAudio Member

Yes, I would appreciate some 'help' here too. We now have this player, and a lot of content anywhere else on the home network. So the sensible thing for me would be to have a controller, say a tablet, where I could select content from anywhere, be it USB or network drives, PCs, the hard drives connected to the Oppo, and then have it played on the Oppo. Seems straightforward but after a day of searching the only one I found that can do that is KooRaRoo I mentioned.

The terminology is DMR for Digital Media Renderer (the Oppo is one), and DMC, Digital Media Controller, and KooRaRoo is one. Importantly, the digital content is NOT going through the DMC - the DMC merely connects content to player. The process is called 'pushing content'. See also page 44 in the Oppo handbook (my EU version handbook).

jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 9th May 2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp
Old 9th May 2013, 09:21 AM   #398
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Hello,

jan
When you say "push", you refer to network connection I suppose. If so, there is quite simple thing this (for both 95 and 105). Thanks to Foobar (and its developer)... This software is just exceptional and free...

Install Foobar with "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point" and "UPnP Media renderer output" plugins. You may want of course some other plugins too... Setup right the Foobar itself (preferences - streaming profiles)...
Make a playlist in to it. Close Foobar down. Start it up again. Startup 105 and connect it to network. You will see there Foobar in Oppo`s network connections. Run that and choose your playlist. Enjoy! If you want "shuffle" that works too (on 95/105). You can even listen to Web Radio this way through Oppo (streaming). Quite impressive quality on 256kBs stations (44,1Khz sampling). Record that, and convert it to FLAC 176.4Khz (with some few treatments...). WOW!
You have so the music on your computer, where you can manage it very easy, playing it back out on your Oppo player.
You can do almost the same through 105 USB input, but so how it is this USB interface it have a quite poor quality comparing with the network connection. This is enough easy to understand, but I do not develop it now this subject here... Better through network anyway. Not at least is not very recommended to have long distances on USB connections. Quite often one have the computer enough far from his rack. Better with CAT 6,7,8 cables... and 1Gb speed on router. I prefer cables rather than wireless...
But one it almost have at least to modify the player to get much better quality out of it. I personally can not even tolerate to hear a standard 105 anymore, after I modified it mine. The difference is only huge! And I`m not yet finish to modified it...

I just suppose that one it may not want/prefer to "push" to Oppo 105 some 128kBs mp3 files...
I will recommend to everybody (who can and buder) to use a enough proof computer software to convert his sources (CDs) to FLAC 176.4KHz /24bit (fix the levels on channels and so - a little bit of "lifting" of the original file). Is quite frequent that so called good recorded CDs it still have some levels problems in it. This is bad!
So, send to Oppo that FLAC 176.4KHz /24bit file. So it have to be to one really enjoy a good quality. It may be even better with Wav files, but it is quite space consuming this way...

Last edited by Coris; 9th May 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:28 AM   #399
diyAudio Member

Coris, when I understand you correctly, you play the files through the Oppo's interface (presumably your TV). I don't want that, it is too limited, you can't easily go through all your content and have graphical view of your library; it's more like Windows Explorer.

I want to use a graphically organised app like (sorry) iTunes) on a tablet, where I have all my content clearly available and 'push' it to the Oppo.
This explains the process: What is a Media Controller? | Home Theater

jan
Old 9th May 2013, 09:56 AM   #400
diyAudio Member

I will finally say that the network connection is the best reliable than all other 105 it have (audio). There are some (buffer) problems in 105 firmware which make the use of quite slow hard drivers not very fortunate. It works better this interface with SSD (USB converter). The USB input is better, but not enough good quality (unmodified). I miss on 105 the SATA port. So it still the LAN interface the best on this player. My opinion...

Hide this!Advertise here!