Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 01:31 PM   #321
diyAudio Member

The output caps on the 105 are pretty good quality and I can't hear them in their circuit.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:47 AM   #322
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

John... as in "105 sound so good so I cant hear them" or "I shorted them and I could not hear any difference" ? Sorry, just interested in your evaluation method.

/
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:27 PM   #323
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
The output caps on the 105 are pretty good quality and I can't hear them in their circuit.
That's good news .

Eric will
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:15 PM   #324
plep is offline plep  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
So, I har a resounding - No!

/
you sould look at Test OPPO Muse modifiés par Espace-musical : une meilleure écoute analogique | Haute Définition sur HDfever, in french.
Output cap bypassed by other caps, every thing that is between output cap and cinch bypassed by a low value resistor (like 27ohm), and, If I'm correct, output op-amp biaised into class A (not sure if the connection point is psu or ground).

The reviewer is more than happy with the mod.

best regards
Philippe.
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:27 PM   #325
diyAudio Member

The Oppo output caps are there for a reason. I know the reason, but I cannot reveal it. The usual output stage sounds better than the headphone output stage (that has no caps) into a hi Z load.
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:59 AM   #326
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Oppo output caps are there for a reason. I know the reason, but I cannot reveal it. The usual output stage sounds better than the headphone output stage (that has no caps) into a hi Z load.
If you work for Oppo, then of course you can not reveal one or another... but only grab the most of detailed informations from the thread/forum, about others findings...
Anyway, thanks for you let us to know that you know more than us.
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:21 AM   #327
diyAudio Member

You don't have to be rude Coris. The reason is not mine to reveal. It is a 'trivial' reason in any case. I DID compare the main output with caps against the headphone output with identical 50K loading and found that the caps were not a significant factor in the sound quality.
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:15 AM   #328
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I think is wrong to load the headphone output with 50K. This output is meant to work with quite low impedance/load. That final amp chip is not made to (well) function with so high impedance loads... At last this output has an unacceptable high noise level.
Else the output caps are for sure there to isolate/prevent high DC offset out on the line. For some reasons Oppo can not control (production process) this DC offset of the final opamps, even though it were all right this aspect for 95 model... In my opinion, using such caps can not at all be called an improvement for the 105 model. If this model it happens to sound better than 95 this is because other improvements (better power supply, and some other things), but not because placing those caps on outputs.
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:56 AM   #329
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd View Post
mvc: you've tried the 105 direct to the amp - no transformer intermediate?
Thankyou.
Yes, I also tried that, balanced and single ended. Obviously it is even better, but not by a large margin. My transformer preamp (S&B TX102 based) is very good. Even direct the balanced output are a bit better than the RCA.
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:52 PM   #330
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is how OPPO answered the AC coupling question from dmusoke On the AVS anticipation forum:

"The BDP-105 analog outputs are AC coupled. The BDP-95 used DC coupled output, and we have had a few rare but annoying compatibility issues with certain amplifiers. Some amplifier may have a DC offset on its input and that has caused issues from popping noises, degraded sound to damaged players. We have selected the components carefully so that the AC coupled output can still produce excellent bass response. The capacitors used are high quality ELNA capacitors. Again this increases cost so we do not make this kind of design changes without a good reason. For the unbalanced RCA stereo output, our consultant developed a certain way to bias the components so it actually sounds and measures better than the BDP-95, but requires an AC coupled output."

I can tell you from personal experience that the BDP-103 has a problem with pops and clicks on the variable RCA output when hooked directly to an amplifier. This occurs during pauses in the audio stream and at other times. This prevents the BDP-103 from being used in this mode, and I had to send my unit back.

Now the BDP-105 uses the superior saber chipset, but I think we can assume that OPPO has been very conservative with the BDP-105, including coupling capacitors and muting relays on the outputs.
The good news is that none of us are having problems with pops or clicks on the outputs of the BDP-105.

Hide this!Advertise here!