Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 05:54 PM   #311
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Has anyone shorted the caps on the output and had a listen?

/
Old 24th March 2013, 11:30 PM   #312
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Many people have concluded that the balanced outputs are superior to the unbalanced outputs.
For those of us with unbalanced amplifiers, it seems that a XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would extract much of the benefit. I see that the balanced circuit uses one op amp for each left and right channel, while the unbalanced circuit uses a single dual op amp. This could explain part of the improvement.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:18 AM   #313
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

The balanced output is superior to the unbalanced only when one use that with an unbalanced input amplifier. There is no any benefit to convert that balanced to unbalanced for use it so with a conventional amplifier. Using RCA output with an unbalanced amplifier is the only reasonable way and it have the max benefit for this type of output.
The logic about how many opamp are used to process the signal on one or another type of output, is not quite right. The right logic it may be: the less components on the signal path, the better for the integrity/quality of that signal...
Converting the balanced to unbalanced it cancel all the benefit of the balanced output. If one have only the balanced output on a device and it dispose only an unbalanced amplifier, then a such convertor do the job to connect those together and use it the system. But this is a temporary compromise solution, not something which it "would extract much of the benefit" of an balanced output...
My suggestion is to use it the right way and be happy with that benefit you can get so...

Last edited by Coris; 25th March 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:43 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

I have wrote wrong in the first phrase of the previous post...

Is right like this: The balanced output is superior to the unbalanced only when one use that with an balanced input amplifier.

I think is not quite well that this forum do not permit posts editing, but a half hour after the post is first published. Having continuous edit access to his posts, one may correct many of the published posts or just delete what it become unnecessary, and so it will be prevented too much (wrong) text in the threads...

Last edited by Coris; 25th March 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 25th March 2013, 01:07 PM   #315
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes corus, I think you are right. On reflection last night I realized that one would probably need a transformer to convert the signal, as the two halves should be combined (The signal is probably unbalanced straight from the DACs). (Although as far as pickup,I should note that my cable is only 3 feet long). So how about if I do this using a transformer on the amplifier side, or should I instead think about ways to improve the unbalanced output?

Last edited by eganz1; 25th March 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 25th March 2013, 05:17 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Actually there are many other improvements one may have in place before thinking to convert balanced to unbalanced...
I too, do not have yet an balanced amplifier, and I have used all the time the unbalanced one. I have to say that I still have a very good sound this way. Anyway I want to switch to balanced amplifier. Is my priority now. I think is the right way I may use all the benefits of such output/connection.
So, my suggestion is you try (to forget that way with an transformer and so...) to get the most out of RCA output, doing the rest of quite many other mods which it may bring very real and important improvements in that unbalanced way. BTW, the most of the mods one may want to put in place, have common improvements for both ways: balanced/unbalanced. Then think to get an balanced amplifier... to go balanced with an already good modded device.
Old 26th March 2013, 02:26 PM   #317
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm using the BDP-105 with a transformer volume control (TVC), which can take balanced as well as single ended inputs with precisely the same hardware. I also think the balanced outputs on the Oppo are slightly better, and a TVC preamp is probably one of the best and most cost effective ways to utilise it. You can then still use a single ended power amp. Additional advantage is that you can break any ground loops, and TVC's can sound extremely good.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:40 AM   #318
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Direct?

mvc: you've tried the 105 direct to the amp - no transformer intermediate?
Thankyou.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:20 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

Help me out here. I am trying to understand the circuit topology for the BDP-105 analog driver single-ended output stage. Please correct me if I am wrong.

a. Output op amps are 5532.
b. Inputs and outputs to the 5532 are R-C coupled.
c. Output load resistor is 50K.

Q1: Electrolytic coupling caps are what values (both in to and out of the 5532)?
Q2: Input load resistor to 5532 is what value?

BTW, I have not run my output directly to my amp - not yet anyway. Still going through my Dared MC-7P tube preamp. The dared uses a DC-coupled input stage.
Old 30th March 2013, 01:10 PM   #320
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Has anyone shorted the caps on the output and had a listen?

/
So, I har a resounding - No!

/

Hide this!Advertise here!