Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 08:52 AM   #241
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have had the 105 for a few weeks now, and I have noticed that it sounds a bit mellow, compared to my own player, and that of a friend. The top end seems to lack a bit of sparkle. The rest is fine, with excellent bass and drive, but that softness in the top end is bothering me a bit. Any thought on what might be causing it, and how to fix it?

And Ric, what do you mean precisely by 'removing the toslink connector', and in what way does it improve things?
Old 25th January 2013, 09:22 AM   #242
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc View Post
I have had the 105 for a few weeks now, and I have noticed that it sounds a bit mellow, compared to my own player, and that of a friend. The top end seems to lack a bit of sparkle. The rest is fine, with excellent bass and drive, but that softness in the top end is bothering me a bit. Any thought on what might be causing it, and how to fix it?

And Ric, what do you mean precisely by 'removing the toslink connector', and in what way does it improve things?
1. Output sound-coupling capacitors
2. Cheap multi-litz power cable

Boky
Old 25th January 2013, 10:55 AM   #243
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

There is not only about the coupling caps... In the lack of sparkle on highs is involved too the oscillator for DAC (54Mhz), instead for 100Mhz. On channels outputs are used ferrite bead in the signal path, which is not to be there... There are too caps to GND... There is the power system which is not as high quality as it should for that "sparkle". Of course there are also the coupling caps which introduce an unnecessary ESI in the signal path and many other things...
Even though, my overall opinion is that 105 it sounds better as it is than 95 (as it was out of the box)...
Old 25th January 2013, 11:22 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Are they using the LM4562 directly after the ES9018 DAC? If so, swap it out for something like LM6172 which is much less prone to overload from RF.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:33 PM   #245
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

> 1. Output sound-coupling capacitors
> 2. Cheap multi-litz power cable

I'm using a good quality power cable (either Russ Andrews or Chord), but the sound is actually the same with a basic kettle lead. Or are your referring to power cable inside the Oppo?

I do like it actually, but with a slightly crisper top end it would be perfect.

I'd like to replace the output caps, but I am not able to find any film cap that would fit.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by mvc; 25th January 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:07 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
> 1. Output sound-coupling capacitors
> 2. Cheap multi-litz power cable

I'm using a good quality power cable (either Russ Andrews or Chord), but the sound is actually the same with a basic kettle lead. Or are your referring to power cable inside the Oppo?

I do like it actually, but with a slightly crisper topend it would be perfect.
the power cable has to be solid core copper, silver plated, double run for each the phase and the neutral for what you are trying to achieve. this is the simplest, least obtrusive mod - no modifications required. for the ultimate speed and resolution you could try pure silver ribbons. avoid anything and everything multi-litz.

the player mods will void the warranty. the sound coupling caps could be soldered back if you want to use warranty for any repairs. you could probably get away with it.

if you don't care about the warranty... work on lowering the noise around the PCB's first; once you achieved very detailed, clinical, fast and reviling sound -> proceed with parts replacement like IC's, caps, resistors, clock oscillators...

... and do not be fooled, air sculptures so freely shown in this thread and claimed to be producing quantum leap will in fact not produce any objective improvement - they will merely change the sound of the player.

Boky
Old 25th January 2013, 01:10 PM   #247
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if you don't care about the warranty...
youve already voided the warranty and insurance for your house in most cases if youve used a solid core power cable apart from in-wall
Old 25th January 2013, 01:22 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

if you do not have anything to contribute, it is usually the best thing not to say anything at all
Old 25th January 2013, 01:31 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

... and do not be fooled, air sculptures so freely shown in this thread and claimed to be producing quantum leap will in fact not produce any objective improvement - they will merely change the sound of the player.

Boky
The "air sculptures" are not recommended solutions for everybody (only for they who can and know what to do). It were meant here first as informations for those who may eventual be interested in another (unconventional) ways to do things...

How do you know about that "fact" witch will not produce improvements, when you are for sure unknown with that fact, or never experienced such?
But at least, everybody is aloud to have his own fantasies about everything... No problem.

Else is to be appreciated your "in fact" experience with power cables, which can solve the high frequencies issues of an DAC system processed sound...

Last edited by Coris; 25th January 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
youve already voided the warranty and insurance for your house in most cases if youve used a solid core power cable apart from in-wall
I`m afraid that hoses insurances and warranties in conjunction with electrical domestic installation, it belong another forum, than this one...
This Forum is about DIY Audio, not DIY Housing...
Thanks for your interest to read this thread, and for your qualified (out of topic) contribution...

Last edited by Coris; 25th January 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!