Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 04:17 AM   #231
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihear21khz View Post
The point here is that if more people evaluate the SAW, we can get some general consensus on what it does.
Hi David

That is all I am asking for. Even Epson Toyocom who makes them, are wondering why I am interested in using them for audio and tried to make me look for a different line they thought more suitable. The SAW is a NON-audio oscillator. But not with the Sabre DAC, but resistance is there. Maybe we can overcome that, and Toyocom might make a 54MHz - look at all the multi-players out there using 27MHz, not just Oppo, and all those that are still to come. What about the Oppo 103, which has only the one 27MHz clock that does everything. Would love to know what a SAW would do there. I don't expect they will make anything lower than 50MHz, so 54MHz is more probable.

(But right now, SAW or otherwise, who makes the best 27MHz oscillator right now, I don't think Crystek has been in 957?)

Also, what about all the other Buffalo guys out there? Must be heaps of them. Everybody will have a chance to make up their own minds.

Cheers, Joe R.

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 23rd January 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:24 AM   #232
diyAudio Member

Skeptical? Not in the least. I have no idea how a Saw sounds versus anything....nor do I really care. As I said earlier, I hope the Saw wins....it is cheaper. I just want to know what the truth is. This is my hope....that my little knowledge can help you find the truth....the truth about yourself is most important: (that you are a magnificient, beautiful God of Love, Wisdom, Power and Joy)...this clock thing is very unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

If a lot of people think the Saw really is that great I am sure I will try one. I have lots of things on my plate and a "better clock" is just one of many things to try. I am working on class A amps, open baffle planar/servo woofer speakers, and interconnect cables. So, I hope you all will do really good A/Bs with clocks and be my helpers.....we all lift each other up. My knowledge helps you, your knowledge (direct experience is the only real knowledge) helps me. This way we all grow and prosper.

There are lots of areas in a 105 that make more difference than some "better clock" in one place. Even removing the toslink connector makes a serious improvement in the sound. And if you never remove it, the machine will always have a serious limitation. I am a 100%/95% guy.....that is, you do everything possible on every part (100%) of your stereo to 95%......the last 5% is just obsession. You can spend way too much time on oscillators, or power supplies, or coupling caps, or output stages or damping or transport mods or WA Quantum chips or whatever. That last 5% is always changing as well, as we learn of new and better clocks, caps, power supplies, WA Quantum super chips mark II, whatever.

The game is perfection. We are trying to perfect our audio playback system. We will never get there. Only our true nature is perfect. This is where we dwell eternally. Our illusion is that we think we are not perfect...so then we spend incarnation after incarnation trying to "get it" (remember). We slowly get it and keep awaking to our perfection, becoming more and more loving, wise and joyful. This game too shall never end. It is the only game/dance there is.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:19 AM   #233
diyAudio Member

Ric, did you accuse ME of making sweeping statements? lol
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:25 AM   #234
diyAudio Member

The current "state of the art" low jitter $25 clocks from Crystek are really very crude. Imagine what they could do at a $100-$500+ each price point. I am going to call them this week and demand such an item. He he. Have you seen the $10,000 Femtosecond clocks from MSB? They have at least 35db lower measured phase noise at 10hz than Crystek!!!!! What if Crystek could give us this for a few hundred dollars instead of $10,000.......now this would be way cool! I am sorry, but I cannot get all that excited about a "slightly better?" than Crystek oscillator.....the game is just beginning.....hold on to your hats!

Yes, I sweep very well......I have a gigantic broom of Love.......You are beautiful....each and every one is precious. We all feel this about our new borns.....why do we lose this feeling? Everyone is our son and daughter.....everyone is our brother and sister. We are magnificent!

Last edited by Ric Schultz; 23rd January 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:51 AM   #235
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Clocked... brother and sisters... with love...
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:28 AM   #236
diyAudio Member

Ric's gone Yoda.

I have always felt there is something greater than us. So there's my penny's worth.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:47 AM   #237
diyAudio Member

I found this oscillator. It may be better than the stock one in the player:
Crystals and Oscillators | Oscillators | DigiKey
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:13 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I found this oscillator. It may be better than the stock one in the player:
Crystals and Oscillators | Oscillators | DigiKey
Not in stock, single unit price $127.60 and $91.87 if ordering 10. Qty 250 $71.46
Old 23rd January 2013, 04:46 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

I order it! For approx 70$ all together (not taxes included - immediate delivery). I got cut tape for two oscillators. Just try. It works anyway...

Last edited by Coris; 23rd January 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:37 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Here some some other chewable info. Have you guys played with the WA-Quantum stickers? I have gotten incredible results with these things. I will be putting a semiconductor one on a Crystek oscillator and see what it does.

How about the steel shield around the oscillators. Generally steel adds steely sound. How about cutting of the roof off a Crystek/SAW/whatever oscillator and replacing it with brass. Brass is not magnetic and has nicer resonance properties. Just thought of this last night. Definately going to try it. I bet it will make a slight improvement. I will also try the oscillator without a top, but I bet it will sound better with full shield on top. The older non surface mount oscillators were worse in that the whole thing was encased in steel....even the bottom and even the pins that came through the case on the bottom were steel. The Tent oscillators that Joe and I used for awhile are all steel like this.....I always thought they sounded a bit "hard".

Last edited by Ric Schultz; 23rd January 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!