Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 10:10 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Ric, see on your website that you have done the '103 - and just confirm as you said earlier on the '95 thread, this is 27MHz that was clocked properly.

Did you read re Coris' experiments with 25MHz and even upping to 50MHz (see #116 above "I just remember now an experiment I've done with this 25Mhz clock. I've used an 50Mhz one in that place. Nothing worked, except reading/playing files from USB interface. Of course I've got access to user interface. It were so exceptional video and audio out of the player, but were not possible to get access to transport and SATA)". That does not seem to tally with Jason? It's very odd, but the evidence still strongly point to 25MHz was correct. But hopefully no confusion this time and it being 27MHz for 103/105.

Cheers, Joe R.

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 30th November 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 06:36 AM   #122
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Maybe god to know... Oppo declared BDP95 out of stock...
Now is the BDP105 in the spot light.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:52 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

just wondering, is the 105 able to play sacd iso on dvd? just like the 95
Old 10th December 2012, 06:48 PM   #124
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

This is about firmware... 95 could play ISO bd/dvd but only with the first firmware. They who upgraded the first firmware have lose it this. It were a request to Oppo from the film companies to block this opportunity...
Old 15th December 2012, 12:48 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Coris:

You earlier said you had an ESS 9018 datasheet or application note. Can you post it here or PM with details? I'm not talking about the 2-page product sheet which is everywhere on the web.

Thanks,
David
PS
You can email it to me at david.musoke@yahoo.com if you have it.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:52 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post
All this obsession about coupling caps...he he. The Elna Silmic II caps used on the output of each channel in the 105 are actually excellent sounding coupling caps....
Can you or Coris confirm my impression, reading between the lines, that Oppo has left left DC on the outputs, as DC bias to be seen by those caps? That may not be a bad idea as caps generally do better with some DC bias. But, in which case you have to find a way to remove the DC offset and you can't just get rid of the caps, as some seem to have suggested.

My own solution will be the same as the '95 which is DC coupled. The question is whether to sacrifice the headphone amp - I can disable all the I/V ICs, I can run 4x paralleled using jumpers. As these will each see a common 3R3 to ground-plane near DAC (reference point where things cancel), picking up anything stray has to be about as minimal as it gets. I will get same performance as '95 I suspect.

Still would like further confirmation that we are definitely back to 27MHz as was the usual standard in the past with Mediatek/Oppo.

I may possible get my first '105 this coming week.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:43 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

I already stated there was 10 millivolts or less dc offset before the coupling caps. I also stated that the main clock was 27meg. It has not changed....maybe after the 21st it will change.....he he.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:20 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post
I also stated that the main clock was 27meg. It has not changed....maybe after the 21st it will change.....he he.
And the Oppo 95? Still insist it wasn't 25MHz?

If only Oppo would actually do what many others do, make a service manual available. But as I have experienced many times, certain (not all) American companies have a certain paranoia that, for example, the Japanese don't have with their products. Have worked for Panasonic, JVC etc, only to happy to... oh well.

Are you aware that when we bought parts from certain companies here in Australia, we had to sign a piece of paper every time they handed over the Invoice, that these components (transistors, ICs etc) were not to be put into products that would be sent to the US. Yep, they were American owned suppliers. It was a joke. And it was ignored. But then again, "free market" is an oxymoron.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Every DVD, Blue Ray or Universal player that I have ever seen uses a 27 meg clock as the main clock.....every one. So, somehow this Mediatek chip is different? Audiocom did not look underneath the board and assumed the clock they saw on the top was the "master clock". I am glad they and all of us "sheep followers" assumed wrong because upgrading this "wrong clock" makes discs sound better. But if you want to see/hear what changing the "main clock" does, then you will have to change the 27meg clock underneath the board. Please try this and report back, if you want. I have no interest currently, too dang hard to get to and to expensive to change two clocks on the Mediatek and another one on the DAC.

The "three clock" thang I see on the 95 thread looks like it is using one power supply to power all three clocks. If this is true then this is really bad. Each clock will then "dirty" each other. Every clock needs a super, low impedance, low noise separate regulator to completely isolate each one from each other and for best performance.

A schematic in a service manual will not necessarily describe what each clock is for....you would see clock 1 and clock 2.....but not what function they are for. If you really want to know something about the Oppo then just email Jason at Oppo to get the correct info.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:06 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Certain American companies are still paranoid. Come across enough examples. Their paranoia extends to gun.

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 16th December 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!