squeezebox or pc and why ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 10:35 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

My 2 cents.

The Logitech solution is first of all meant as a networking solution, supplying all kind of clients with the same material.

1. IMO there is nothing comparable to the open Logitech Media Server.
No. Neither MPD + clients. Nor any DLNA/UPNP network setup + clients I came across.
2. The remote control apps are IMO the best I came across. iPeng first.
3. A tweaked SB Touch can IMO compete with SPDIF audio interfaces like
an Audiophillio II + battery supply.
Buying and tweaking a PC + Audiointerface will cost you more.
With the EDO plugin, you can even hookup USB DACs to the Touch.
4. Even if Touch and other LT products are obsolete (still availabale), there'll
be further support for a while.
The LMS performance is rock solid since years. There havn't been major
improvements since years anyhow. There's also still a very active
community support.
5. For all platforms you'll find player applications (IOS devices/Android/Linux/asf).
Basically you can use your iPad or Nexus as Squeezebox - even at 24/96.
Hopefully soon there'll be reasonable Droid docking stations.
6. The whole server env SW is free. And player apps are extremely cheap
compared to so called audiophile apps on PC and OSX.
You've got a million of plugins to choose from.

I'm running a Duet, a Touch, Squeezeplay, Squeezeplayer (Droid), iPeng-player (iPad/iPhone).
In parallel (on the same server) I'm running Serviio as DLNA server feeding directly my TV with video/images/music.

I tried a lot of stuff over the years (and I'm still trying other stuff).

Conclusion: Havn't found anything better. My current setup stays. Convenience factor is great , SQ is great, price is great, family acceptance factor is great.

What more do I want?

Enjoy.

Last edited by soundcheck; 11th January 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12th January 2013, 03:59 AM   #22
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

+1

and to make shorter and WAFer: feed a DAC Power Amp whit the SQ via spidf like DDX 300 v2 (I read your blog, stell prefer my Chord but for 100 bucks...no greater than this FDA)

a Photo of my DDX 300 V2 Champagne version (l'ampli qui déchire !)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0244.jpg (377.2 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Eldam; 12th January 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: add image
Old 12th January 2013, 08:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
DDX 300 v2 (I read your blog, stell prefer my Chord but for 100 bucks...no greater than this FDA)
I'll update the blog soon with an article about my DDX320 V2 modification project. By now you just made if half the way.
Old 12th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Sandor is offline Sandor  Italy
diyAudio Member

@Eldam
Is it a Sumoh FDA amplifier that little black box in your picture?
How does it compares to DDX320?
Old 12th January 2013, 01:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
@Eldam
To me it looks like a SB Duet.
Old 14th January 2013, 11:52 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

@studiostevus
Sorry for OT, I want to send you a pm but your box is full.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:02 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
i have the sb in the same box as my dac.
- thereby taking i2s from somewhere on the board
- using a better power supply
- providing a stable clock signal to the sb from a masterclock

This is probably as much as one can do. Powering individual chips on the sb has probably no effect given that i am only using the processor and reclocking externally...
Hi Studiostevus,

May you please tell me where are the points from the Duet you are talking about to take I2S signal ? I only know the lampizator way with a shorter spidf route.

For wire the I2S do you have something betwin dac chip and squeezebox (active or passive...) cause i found nothing to read! I have a ad1865 but have some tda1541a chips too and i plan after reading posts from Abrax, Qusp, ECSDesign, etc making my first diy dac with a layout plan sold for experiments. I realise after tweaking an akai Cd with pcm56 that I get great music...not my raindrop'hui AD1865 Dac (wich chip may be a low grad marked as high), etc.

I will be very happy if you have links or a shematic for that ! maybe photographs...

Did you hear a large difference between Duet / Spidf -> your diy TDA1541 crown Dac and Duet/I2S -> your diy TDA1541 crown DAC ?

Even use a smal length between Duet and Dac (5 to 10 cm), what is the bigger limit according to you if the spdif is used with squeezebox : the input chip on the Dac or the quality of the Squeezbox spdif output...

cheers,
Old 16th January 2013, 11:32 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
@Eldam
Sorry Sandor, I didn't see your post...

So, Soundcheck was right it's a Squeezebox Duet streamer (lightly mooded scon caps à la Lampizator inside which make a real difference) connected to the FDA via spidf of course that's the goal.

My Champagne FDA is the Hifimediy DX320 last version (v2) : wm8805 chip for input. I don't hear another FDA.

I think it's a very good bargain for the price but doesn't beat a serious solidstate. But If you have a limited budget like all of us : it's an good idea to spend 120 dollars with the DX320, 150 dollars with a squeezeTouch, the difference in speakers but larger than 90 db and the lower point on the impedance curve at 4 homs. I discover FDA with the blog of Soundcheck so I wanted to try. IMHO not agree about the end of the quest of the perfect DAC, etc, but for the price totaly agree with him: goal and from the first shoot! I think Soundcheck have perhaps high sensivity speaker ?! which change many things (this FDA is too short in power and/or quality sound for my Boston Lynfield 400L; my Kef 104/2... but good enough for my ProacD15 (east 88db); but these last sounded great too with a tweaked solidstate Nad2100 pro... so for 120 dollars... take the DDX320 v2, IMHO it's a clever product)

hope it helps you
cheers
Old 17th January 2013, 01:20 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Hi Studiostevus,

May you please tell me where are the points from the Duet you are talking about to take I2S signal ? I only know the lampizator way with a shorter spidf route.

For wire the I2S do you have something betwin dac chip and squeezebox (active or passive...) cause i found nothing to read! I have a ad1865 but have some tda1541a chips too and i plan after reading posts from Abrax, Qusp, ECSDesign, etc making my first diy dac with a layout plan sold for experiments. I realise after tweaking an akai Cd with pcm56 that I get great music...not my raindrop'hui AD1865 Dac (wich chip may be a low grad marked as high), etc.

I will be very happy if you have links or a shematic for that ! maybe photographs...

Did you hear a large difference between Duet / Spidf -> your diy TDA1541 crown Dac and Duet/I2S -> your diy TDA1541 crown DAC ?

Even use a smal length between Duet and Dac (5 to 10 cm), what is the bigger limit according to you if the spdif is used with squeezebox : the input chip on the Dac or the quality of the Squeezbox spdif output...

cheers,
There is a picture on the google which shows where to tap i2s from the sb. The pic has some chinese characters on it, but i am not able to look it up for you now.

I did not test 'known inferior' solutions like spdif etc, just focused on the i2s. Connected i2s without buffers to the dac, and injected bck into the sb. Descriptions can be found on the slimdevices forum, by jkeny and john swenson....
Old 17th January 2013, 07:25 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

@Eldam

Some words about the DDX V2.

You can't compare the DDX with an amp only.
It's DDX vs. DAC+amp.

The DDX needs a pretty good transport. It'll sound better with any optimization you do on the transport side.

The Duet must be considered an average transport, even with some Oscons in place.

I posted at my blog a list of optimizations that I applied to the
DDX V2. IMO that'll make it an outstanding device.

I recommend to spent some extra effort to modify that device. After that you need to compare again.

You IMO got stuck at estimated 60% of its potential.

To me my tweaked Touch and my tweaked DDX ( connected via Toslink) makes a very lean, though pretty audiophile system.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!