squeezebox or pc and why ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2 cents.

The Logitech solution is first of all meant as a networking solution, supplying all kind of clients with the same material.

1. IMO there is nothing comparable to the open Logitech Media Server.
No. Neither MPD + clients. Nor any DLNA/UPNP network setup + clients I came across.
2. The remote control apps are IMO the best I came across. iPeng first.
3. A tweaked SB Touch can IMO compete with SPDIF audio interfaces like
an Audiophillio II + battery supply.
Buying and tweaking a PC + Audiointerface will cost you more.
With the EDO plugin, you can even hookup USB DACs to the Touch.
4. Even if Touch and other LT products are obsolete (still availabale), there'll
be further support for a while.
The LMS performance is rock solid since years. There havn't been major
improvements since years anyhow. There's also still a very active
community support.
5. For all platforms you'll find player applications (IOS devices/Android/Linux/asf).
Basically you can use your iPad or Nexus as Squeezebox - even at 24/96.
Hopefully soon there'll be reasonable Droid docking stations.
6. The whole server env SW is free. And player apps are extremely cheap
compared to so called audiophile apps on PC and OSX.
You've got a million of plugins to choose from.

I'm running a Duet, a Touch, Squeezeplay, Squeezeplayer (Droid), iPeng-player (iPad/iPhone).
In parallel (on the same server) I'm running Serviio as DLNA server feeding directly my TV with video/images/music.

I tried a lot of stuff over the years (and I'm still trying other stuff).

Conclusion: Havn't found anything better. My current setup stays. Convenience factor is great , SQ is great, price is great, family acceptance factor is great.

What more do I want?

Enjoy.

Last edited:
+1

and to make shorter and WAFer: feed a DAC Power Amp whit the SQ via spidf like DDX 300 v2 ;) (I read your blog, stell prefer my Chord but for 100 bucks...no greater than this FDA:))

a Photo of my DDX 300 V2 Champagne version (l'ampli qui déchire :rolleyes:!)

Attachments

• IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
i have the sb in the same box as my dac.
- thereby taking i2s from somewhere on the board
- using a better power supply
- providing a stable clock signal to the sb from a masterclock

This is probably as much as one can do. Powering individual chips on the sb has probably no effect given that i am only using the processor and reclocking externally...

Hi Studiostevus,

May you please tell me where are the points from the Duet you are talking about to take I2S signal ? I only know the lampizator way with a shorter spidf route:(.

For wire the I2S do you have something betwin dac chip and squeezebox (active or passive...) cause i found nothing to read! I have a ad1865 but have some tda1541a chips too and i plan after reading posts from Abrax, Qusp, ECSDesign, etc making my first diy dac with a layout plan sold for experiments. I realise after tweaking an akai Cd with pcm56 that I get great music...not my raindrop'hui AD1865 Dac (wich chip may be a low grad marked as high;)), etc.

I will be very happy if you have links or a shematic for that ! maybe photographs...

Did you hear a large difference between Duet / Spidf -> your diy TDA1541 crown Dac and Duet/I2S -> your diy TDA1541 crown DAC ?

Even use a smal length between Duet and Dac (5 to 10 cm), what is the bigger limit according to you if the spdif is used with squeezebox : the input chip on the Dac or the quality of the Squeezbox spdif output...

cheers,

@Eldam
Is it a Sumoh FDA amplifier that little black box in your picture?
How does it compares to DDX320?

Sorry Sandor, I didn't see your post...

So, Soundcheck was right it's a Squeezebox Duet streamer (lightly mooded :eek:scon caps à la Lampizator inside which make a real difference) connected to the FDA via spidf of course that's the goal.

My Champagne FDA is the Hifimediy DX320 last version (v2) : wm8805 chip for input. I don't hear another FDA.

I think it's a very good bargain for the price but doesn't beat a serious solidstate. But If you have a limited budget like all of us : it's an good idea to spend 120 dollars with the DX320, 150 dollars with a squeezeTouch, the difference in speakers but larger than 90 db and the lower point on the impedance curve at 4 homs. I discover FDA with the blog of Soundcheck so I wanted to try. IMHO not agree about the end of the quest of the perfect DAC, etc, but for the price totaly agree with him: goal and from the first shoot! I think Soundcheck have perhaps high sensivity speaker ?!:confused: which change many things (this FDA is too short in power and/or quality sound for my Boston Lynfield 400L; my Kef 104/2... but good enough for my ProacD15 (east 88db); but these last sounded great too with a tweaked solidstate Nad2100 pro... so for 120 dollars... take the DDX320 v2, IMHO it's a clever product)

hope it helps you
cheers

Hi Studiostevus,

May you please tell me where are the points from the Duet you are talking about to take I2S signal ? I only know the lampizator way with a shorter spidf route:(.

For wire the I2S do you have something betwin dac chip and squeezebox (active or passive...) cause i found nothing to read! I have a ad1865 but have some tda1541a chips too and i plan after reading posts from Abrax, Qusp, ECSDesign, etc making my first diy dac with a layout plan sold for experiments. I realise after tweaking an akai Cd with pcm56 that I get great music...not my raindrop'hui AD1865 Dac (wich chip may be a low grad marked as high;)), etc.

I will be very happy if you have links or a shematic for that ! maybe photographs...

Did you hear a large difference between Duet / Spidf -> your diy TDA1541 crown Dac and Duet/I2S -> your diy TDA1541 crown DAC ?

Even use a smal length between Duet and Dac (5 to 10 cm), what is the bigger limit according to you if the spdif is used with squeezebox : the input chip on the Dac or the quality of the Squeezbox spdif output...

cheers,

There is a picture on the google which shows where to tap i2s from the sb. The pic has some chinese characters on it, but i am not able to look it up for you now.

I did not test 'known inferior' solutions like spdif etc, just focused on the i2s. Connected i2s without buffers to the dac, and injected bck into the sb. Descriptions can be found on the slimdevices forum, by jkeny and john swenson....

@Eldam

Some words about the DDX V2.

You can't compare the DDX with an amp only.
It's DDX vs. DAC+amp.

The DDX needs a pretty good transport. It'll sound better with any optimization you do on the transport side.

The Duet must be considered an average transport, even with some Oscons in place.

I posted at my blog a list of optimizations that I applied to the
DDX V2. IMO that'll make it an outstanding device.

I recommend to spent some extra effort to modify that device. After that you need to compare again.

You IMO got stuck at estimated 60% of its potential.

To me my tweaked Touch and my tweaked DDX ( connected via Toslink) makes a very lean, though pretty audiophile system.

Cheers

Hi Studiostevus,

Thanks for reference, I found many links and begin to read it : audiocircle, etc. I didn't know that people tweaked their sb to I2S transport. I have to cure my parkinson before soldering at thr 3 Resistors;).

Hi Souncheck,

Yes I understand that, it was just a vs based on hearing only but with the same streamer an a not very good chinese DAC with Ad1865 with the solidstate amp.

I confirm a lack of power with the DDX and it's an important information if you need it with some speakers. What are yours speakers even if they are DIY, which sensibility ?

Thank you for sharing your work, I will try again after applying your tweakings.

I think i have first as you say improve my sb as StudioStevus maid, I have an another sb for a second system so i have the possibility to have a reference to listen with DDX 320 V2.

It makes sense to benchmark two different technologies if the goal is the same : here quality Sound. Like Turnable vs CD player.

Here the question seems now to be with DDX 320 v2 : streamer via spdif with this FDA (power DAC) or I2S via this streamer to a DAC with analog output and solid state amp. I read too posts from people who makes an amp just after the DAC not a simple low level 2 V output.

IMO, i have no prove for the best system (i don't talk about a benchmark based on the price) as for example i have no clear answer for the best way to make an I/V and output from a I Dac chip(just understand that the aop is behind even the ad844 vs tube and dicrete but no idea before tubes vs discrete vs hybrid : tube+aop+discrete+transformer...).

That ' why I agree with you when you take the price factor on your blog, but are you sure that your quest is over as a listener if you heard very good DAC with a goog solidstate like a ncore (Bruno P will say that it is not digital, but i talk about it because it's high efficienty amp... after all i'm not an electronic tech:sax: and my hears are the last link...and of course my purse !).

Is it possible to have an imput Chip in I2S with an FDA ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guy,

I hope that you have some ideas, what solution has your favor ? Going to an affordable streamer, a pc with usb to spidf, expensive streamer, sold your amp to go to branded PowerDAC like Wadia, Nad, Sony, Pioneer or DIY one ? Or goback to a good CD player or turnable (i have a rega 3 & love to use it sometimes) ? Tell us:).

Hi again SoundCheck,

According to you, is there some things to do with the TCXO of the DDX 320 for improving the clock of the Squeezebox, or maybe a super clock for the two devices ? Sorry if the question is stupid cause i'm not electronician, I just can solder and take voltage !

You talk about tolinsk between the 2 devices, why Tolinsk (I've heard than the chips for toslink transport add distorsion in relation to spdif) ?

In my different systems DDX is tirering in high medium-treble, did you hear that and are blackgates give a bettet listen here... I thought myself trying neutral Elna Tonorex or softer Cerafine... Thanks for the tips of breaking period.

Did you try Sonicbattery with a regulator for supply your SB ?

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.