Micromega Stage 6: Help needed in sourcing replacement transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I need to replace the transformer of my Micromega Stage 6 Cd player which has become unbearingly noisy and is emanating a continuous huge buzzing sound whenever powered on.

It is a coil transformer housed in a blue plastic rectangular box with approx dimensions: 68mm x 58mm x 30mm. The only technical info I can find is the wordings: "UI 39/17 gSe" written on the plastic box which is of not much help to me in trying to identify a replacement one.

I would really appreciate if someone could provide me with the technical details of that transformer or tell what alternative i can use and where i can buy this. I use 230V (European).

Alternatively if someone has a faulty Stage player, I'll be more than happy to buy the transformer.
many thanks
lall

The number refers to the core. The transformer is likely to be a standard size, ca 24VA, but unlikely to be standard voltages.

Check that mountings are tight.

Other modes of vibration: bobbin on core, and windings on bobbin, can sometimes be fixed by running Araldite or similar into gaps, warming if necessary to improve flow. Hit and miss but if it works it tends to be permanent. Encapsulated transformers are tricky though...breaking it open is rather last resort.

Without a manual, characterising the transformer is quite a long and involved process but it can be done. Measure the voltages between secondary terminals, loaded and unloaded. Disconnect mains and secondaries and measure the resistance between secondary terminals. The winding layout can be deduced from the unloaded voltages and resistances. The current drawn from each winding can be calculated by comparing loaded to unloaded voltages, winding resistances, and Ohm's law, more or less.

In the likely event that a replacement is impossible to find, you may be able to use several smaller transformers, one for each voltage you need.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you absolutely certain there is no other problem like a bad rectifier (partially shorted or open) or bad filter cap before you go to the trouble of replacing what might be a good transformer? The transformer might indeed be bad but without checking the other stuff it would be silly to replace it..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As previously stated you need to characterize the transformer as to output voltages and winding ratings so that you can find something close, if you are dependent on a service tech the measurements and modifications required to do so are probably beyond your current level of experience.

Have you contacted Micromega to see whether they have spares or could at least provide schematics and information on the original transformer secondary voltages and current ratings?

Micromega-Hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.