diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Cambridge Audio CD34 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/221200-cambridge-audio-cd34.html)

PlasticIsGood 9th October 2012 01:37 AM

Cambridge Audio CD34
 
I'm looking for a remote for a Cambridge Audio CD34

I thought it would be as for Philips (RC5) but it isn't, nor Sony nor Sharp. Tried a universal but got impossibly mixed-up functions on the only setting that got a response.

Any ideas?

Since the only information anywhere about this player is false, here are a few facts. Tiny main board is all SMD and dominated by huge video chip. I guess CD video didn't really happen much, and there was a lot of surplus boards to be found in skips.

Mech: VAM1202/12
DAC: SAA7327 CD video processor with bitstream DAC :(
CL8830 video/audio processor with MP2 decoder :confused:
headphone amp: TDA1308 :h_ache:
can't find audio stage...need microscope maybe.

Sound is stark.
Facia plastic is delicious :)
All other plastic is Sino-functionalist, like my Maplin toaster :D

Puffin 9th October 2012 06:24 AM

Have you tried Cambridge support?

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/support.php

tiefbassuebertr 9th October 2012 08:23 AM

the most important unit to determine the right RC is the operating processor (micro controller unit = MCU, often include display driver). Mostly located on the front PCB.
In case of a custom made version you need a genuine RC from Cambridge Audio. Otherwise there is to find out other cd player brands used same MCU.

What means "Sound is stark" ?? -
this term I have often heard, but only in the geman language, but never heard before in the english language.

PlasticIsGood 9th October 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffin (Post 3194618)
Have you tried Cambridge support?

Customer support

Yes, thanks. Just got a reply. They suggest I buy a new remote from the dealer (it was a Richer Sounds budget special), but added "it is likely to use NEC rather than RC5 code".

So now I just need to know what other CD players use NEC code.

Puffin 9th October 2012 02:29 PM

I have three Cambridge RC's, one for a CD6, one for a Discmagic transport and one for a 640Cv2. I don't know what codes these are, but if any are NEC then I could send it to you. If you have a learning remote you can rip the functions.

EDIT: Looks like the 640C is NEC

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...ntrolCodes.pdf

PlasticIsGood 9th October 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffin (Post 3194618)
Have you tried Cambridge support?

Customer support

Yes, thanks. Just got a reply. They suggest I buy a new remote from the dealer (it was a Richer Sounds budget special), but added "it is likely to use NEC rather than RC5 code".

So now I just need to know what other CD players use NEC code.

Puffin 9th October 2012 02:38 PM

See post 5

PlasticIsGood 9th October 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr (Post 3194694)
the most important unit to determine the right RC is the operating processor (micro controller unit = MCU, often include display driver). Mostly located on the front PCB.

Display driver is HT16512, which only has keyboard and microcontroller i/o. The only non-dedicated chip is an Atmel micro on the main board. As you can see I've found the protocol is probably NEC, but if it's inherited from a board with video functions it may not be the usual CD code I suppose.

Quote:

What means "Sound is stark" ?? -
this term I have often heard, but only in the geman language, but never heard before in the english language.
:) Its supposed to be an adjective, but it seemed apt on its own. Oddly, I imagined it with a German accent rather than my native Teesside.

I've never made much sense of the language of audio reviews. Looking at a dictionary, I mean what is common to all definitions...naked, sharply delineated, bare, desolate, almost cruel. Intense cold light maybe, like a high-security prison on a winter night.

Listening via the headphone amp, it has a merciless affinity for incidental performance noise. It may measure well but all of its low-level impediments are on the harsh side, I guess, and not mitigated by warmer colours. It's more aggressively in-your-face than it would be with the usual opamp and series resistor.

tiefbassuebertr 9th October 2012 07:13 PM

The Holtek HT16512 is a pure VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) controller
http://www.holtek.com.tw/pdf/consumer/ht16512v160.pdf
The RC of CD6 (identical to CD4 and DiscMagic/CDT) is based to Sony. The associated MCU is follow type: CXP1011Q from Sony (MCU include LCD display driver). This is an universal MCU for cd player, used by a wide range of models and brands (e. g. NAD502)
Datasheet not to find online, but that one from the successor:
CXP1021Q datasheet pdf datenblatt - Sony Corporation - System Controller for Compact Disc Players ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Concerning NEC Codes I have found this:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/80071/dataform.pdf
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attac...plomarbeit.pdf (page 14)

Perhaps a cd player RC like follow helps:
http://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/im...d-player.shtml
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120493270865...865%26_rdc%3D1

PlasticIsGood 9th October 2012 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffin (Post 3194987)
I have three Cambridge RC's, one for a CD6, one for a Discmagic transport and one for a 640Cv2. I don't know what codes these are, but if any are NEC then I could send it to you. If you have a learning remote you can rip the functions.

EDIT: Looks like the 640C is NEC

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...ntrolCodes.pdf

Thanks. Unfortunately neither I nor the neighbour who owns the player has a learning remote. Mine's pre-programmed and turns out to be lacking CD-specific codes.

I've fixed the original problem of a jammed on/off switch, but now the mute circuit has become very noisy and the tiny transformer hums. I'm looking for an exit before this turns into an epic saga.

I wonder if this is representative of Cambridge quality:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2