Arcam cd73

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a problem with a no disc error on a arcam cd73. To cut a long story short, I replaced the laser and transport after purchasing from a well known internet auction site. After replacing and connecting up I still have no disc error on display. The ribbon connector was checked for continuity and seems ok, does anyone know if the unit needs any calibration or setting up via the onboard display. The item purchased was a copy of the kss213c laser, the original had a Sony emblem on top, would a non standard item have any influence on it still not reading discs?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Tom.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Next step is normal CD faultfinding. Normally no set up is needed to get the player to work although when replacing a pickup although if there are adjustments in the player then these can be set more accurately when it is all working.

1. Is the pickup in the normal rest position and does it return to this point if manually moved and then the player is powered up

2. Does the lens perform a "focus search routine" by moving up and down (usually 3 times)

3. Is the laser emitting light. It will only do this during the focus search routine. Look from the side, don't stare and see if a dull red glow can be seen.

Hi, thanks for reply, I will go thru all these checks toda, but from memory the laser does go to start position from power up, I can't see any light from laser or laser moving up and down, it does intermittently, make some chirping noises, then "no disc" error appears on display.
As said I will go thru all checks when I get home from work and post a reply,
Thanks
Tom

Hi mooly, thanks for reply, checked player lunchtime and went thru steps as you mentioned, laser does move on power up, with cd out and tray loaded laser seen to move up/down approx 3/4 times, but not lit at all and makes a chirping/ high pitched noise then "no disc" error appears . Does the same with cd in tray too, although I can't see laser with cd in, but results the same as cd out, could it be a duff laser and does the fact that it's a Sony copy have any effect?
Thanks again,
Tom.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Always possible the laser is duff but maybe not the first suspect. The lens going up and down is correct but the high pitched noise could indicate a problem. Without being familiar with this exact player I wouldn't like to say. The focus and tracking coils in the pickup behave just like the voice coil on a speaker and so if there is HF noise in the drive waveform then this can be audible. Some players do make noises like this but it should never be audible in normal use at more than a couple of feet away and even then should be very quiet.

Next step would really be to look at a circuit and confirm if the laser diode is receiving a supply and drawing the correct current.

hi,thanks for reply,without a schematic i've no idea how to check the pcb. I could take a photo of the pcb if this may help, or possibly search the net for a schematic. I'm reasonably proficient with a multimeter, but i have no other test equipment to hand and I assume passing onto a dealer would not be cost effective as these only go s/h for about £150?
help!!!!!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need the service manual to take this further. It might be possible to deduce the laser drive circuit from looking at the "chip set" the player uses and then looking at manufacturers application notes for those IC's but that starts getting a lot more involved.

One other test you could perhaps try as the "light" from a laser isn't always obvious (its very near infra red) is to look at the lens from a distance thorough an ordinary digital camera and see anything shows. I've never tried that but if you try that test using an ordinary remote control first you'll see what I mean... the camera will show the infra red light. So it should show the laser light too.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Page 9 of the manual, top left of circuit. You need to measure the volt drop across the 10 ohm resistor R101 during the brief moment the lens is performing the "focus search operation".

From this volt drop the current in the laser diode can be calculated. Many KSSxxx type pickups use the last three digits of the serial number on the pickup to show the current. For example 455152479487 would meant the current should be 48.7 milliamps. That would be a typical value and you would see 0.487 volts approx across the 10 ohm.

Its also extremely important to check ALL of the power supply rails are correct. This should be done first. Look for any reservoir caps that appear bulged at the top or that have leaked.

Hi, thanks for taking time to have a look at the schematics, I will have a look tomorrow. Can you confirm where on the drawing the power supply rails are located? Sorry to be a numpty, but i,m learning as I go along,I have some knowledge of basic electronics,such as what components do, but reading how a complete circuit works is beyond my knowledge at the moment although I intend to get a book and start learning!!!!
thanks again,
tom:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Page 8 :)

You need to be careful measuring as one slip with the meter could be disastrous. Connect the meter negative lead securely to chassis ground as all these voltages are measured with respect to this point. That can be the phono socket ground or the metal casework.

The main voltages to measure are the outputs of all the voltage regulators (the yellow rectangles). All the important voltages are given such as +5, +3.6 etc so check and confirm they all agree. If getting to the leg of the regulator is difficult then look for a nearby component it goes to and measure there.

Hi mooly, getting strange readings via chassis earth and positive lead of multimeter to Most legs of accessable voltage regulators, basically not getting any dc readings at all? Checked input fuses for continuity and all ok too, also checked either side of input relays but again no dc readings at all, I'm confused any ideas?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That sounds like the chassis isn't directly connected to the zero or ground of the PSU. Strange but could be normal non the less.

You should definitely get the correct readings by putting your meter negative lead onto the "outer" part of the audio output sockets as this is ground. Also if you look at the circuit and locate all the AGND (audio ground) and DGND (digital ground) points then these are ground too. The wiring and layout distinguishes between the two although in practice they will appear joined togetehr and the same point.

So try that and ask if you are not sure :)

Hi again, been checking the voltage regulators on this arcam of mine and the only ones I can successfully check are U507, which is giving strange voltage readings of 1.25 and 1.34 on outer pins centre is 0v. Other vr U503 is giving readings of around 14/15v on outer pins.
All other vr's are very difficult to access and I'm afraid I'll touch something and cause a short!
It says in manual about checking tray micro-switches, any ideas as to what these look like, as I can't see anything obvious, I'm getting a little despondent as to a way of checking other voltage regulators on pcb easily?
Thanks
Tom

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like this is going a bit advanced for your abilities tbh :)

If a reg really is difficult to get to safely then look for parts that connect directly to those pins and measure there instead.

That said, if you really do have only a volt or so on U507 then have you checked the fuse FS501 Some of the supplies in this player are daisy chained with the 11 volts unregulated feeding first a 5 v reg and then the 3.6 volt reg. U507 is on that chain.

If the fuse is open circuit then prime suspects for it failing are a short circuit rectifier (BR501) or faulty reservoir caps C513 and C514. Caps are likely suspects. Make sure they are not bulged or leaking gunge and that the top has not "vented" and split.

sorry to ask ...is the pick up the Kss 240 ?

if so chances that you have an operative unit in your hands are very very low The KSS 240 features 3 trimmers on the side and depending on the order and the batch tuning of the trimmers is far different....

Without the proper cd disc tuning by hand will be impossible ...

All the efforts i made there trying various Kss 240 versions failed still i got my chances in specific importer that supply me with VAM1202 and KSS213 and worked plug n play .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.