Arcam cd73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 11:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Arcam cd73

Hi, I have a problem with a no disc error on a arcam cd73. To cut a long story short, I replaced the laser and transport after purchasing from a well known internet auction site. After replacing and connecting up I still have no disc error on display. The ribbon connector was checked for continuity and seems ok, does anyone know if the unit needs any calibration or setting up via the onboard display. The item purchased was a copy of the kss213c laser, the original had a Sony emblem on top, would a non standard item have any influence on it still not reading discs?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Tom.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Was there a shorting link (solder blob) on the new pickup ?

Most KSSxxx series have them for static prevention and this must be removed before use.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep, this was removed with a soldering iron and checked with a magnifier, to check link has been separated, just wondered if the ribbon is damaged in some way although it looks good?
Tom
Old 1st October 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Next step is normal CD faultfinding. Normally no set up is needed to get the player to work although when replacing a pickup although if there are adjustments in the player then these can be set more accurately when it is all working.

1. Is the pickup in the normal rest position and does it return to this point if manually moved and then the player is powered up

2. Does the lens perform a "focus search routine" by moving up and down (usually 3 times)

3. Is the laser emitting light. It will only do this during the focus search routine. Look from the side, don't stare and see if a dull red glow can be seen.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for reply, I will go thru all these checks toda, but from memory the laser does go to start position from power up, I can't see any light from laser or laser moving up and down, it does intermittently, make some chirping noises, then "no disc" error appears on display.
As said I will go thru all checks when I get home from work and post a reply,
Thanks
Tom
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

The lens should definitely move up and down in a definite way as the pickup attempts to focus on the disc. Only then should the disc spin (after focus is found).
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi mooly, thanks for reply, checked player lunchtime and went thru steps as you mentioned, laser does move on power up, with cd out and tray loaded laser seen to move up/down approx 3/4 times, but not lit at all and makes a chirping/ high pitched noise then "no disc" error appears . Does the same with cd in tray too, although I can't see laser with cd in, but results the same as cd out, could it be a duff laser and does the fact that it's a Sony copy have any effect?
Thanks again,
Tom.
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Always possible the laser is duff but maybe not the first suspect. The lens going up and down is correct but the high pitched noise could indicate a problem. Without being familiar with this exact player I wouldn't like to say. The focus and tracking coils in the pickup behave just like the voice coil on a speaker and so if there is HF noise in the drive waveform then this can be audible. Some players do make noises like this but it should never be audible in normal use at more than a couple of feet away and even then should be very quiet.

Next step would really be to look at a circuit and confirm if the laser diode is receiving a supply and drawing the correct current.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hi,thanks for reply,without a schematic i've no idea how to check the pcb. I could take a photo of the pcb if this may help, or possibly search the net for a schematic. I'm reasonably proficient with a multimeter, but i have no other test equipment to hand and I assume passing onto a dealer would not be cost effective as these only go s/h for about 150?
help!!!!!
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

You need the service manual to take this further. It might be possible to deduce the laser drive circuit from looking at the "chip set" the player uses and then looking at manufacturers application notes for those IC's but that starts getting a lot more involved.

One other test you could perhaps try as the "light" from a laser isn't always obvious (its very near infra red) is to look at the lens from a distance thorough an ordinary digital camera and see anything shows. I've never tried that but if you try that test using an ordinary remote control first you'll see what I mean... the camera will show the infra red light. So it should show the laser light too.

Hide this!Advertise here!