4x SPDIF out soundcard conversion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Ive been trying to work out a nice cheap way of getting multiple SPDIF channels out of a PC which ill use for room EQ and xovers (BruteFIR).

Has anyone thought about modifiying a soundcard so that the I2S signals could be intercepted before the cards DAC?
On this card these could then be converted into separate SPDIF out lines.

Ive been looking at the design of the Terratec Aureon cards that use the Envy24HT and the Wolfson WM8770 DAC.

The Wolfson takes the inputs:
MCLK, BCLK, DACLRC, DIN1, DIN2, DIN3, DIN4.

AFAIK these are just regular I2S signals, but with obviously more data in lines to support the 8 channels.

Ive also got the full (!!) Envy24HT datasheet here, but its a little skimp on the timing details.

Would it really be as simple as getting the data from these lines and feeding them into 4 I2S->SPDIF converter ICs?

So, can anyone see anything wrong with what im thinking of here?
If not, ill buy the card and see what i can do.

MWP said:
Has anyone thought about modifiying a soundcard so that the I2S signals could be intercepted before the cards DAC?
On this card these could then be converted into separate SPDIF out lines.

<snip>

Would it really be as simple as getting the data from these lines and feeding them into 4 I2S->SPDIF converter ICs?

Been there, done that...

Yes it is that simple especially with a Envy24 based card. I have the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and I tapped into the I2S signals going to the CS8427 and connected them to a separate DAC. Essencially I did the opposite of what you are trying.

It should work fine, good luck!

Re: Re: 4x SPDIF out soundcard conversion?

ojg said:

Yes it is that simple especially with a Envy24 based card. I have the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and I tapped into the I2S signals going to the CS8427 and connected them to a separate DAC. Essencially I did the opposite of what you are trying.
It should work fine, good luck!

Great... thanks for that, ill pick up a Aureon shortly then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.