Seek superb clock circuit for ADC ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 09:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Seek superb clock circuit for ADC ...

Hi diyers,

I'm currently working on an ADC based on the PCM4202 from TI:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm4202.pdf

The PCM4202 is a CMOS device that operates with a 3.3 volt digital supply and similar clock signal level.

I will be using this crystal from NDK:

Clock Selection Experts?

I will be using only one crystal at 22.5792 MHz so I need a very simple - yet in terms of jitter phase noise - superb circuit for interfacing it to the PCM4202.

Any of you know of such a circuit and can post a link or a schematic?

Thanks for reading & maybe replying

Jesper
Old 24th September 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

oho ... nobody has suggestions ...? I'm really interested in finding such a circuit.

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 24th September 2012, 01:32 PM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A short trace, as short as possible from the crystal to the chip. With the loading capacitors etc.
Old 24th September 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A short trace, as short as possible from the crystal to the chip. With the loading capacitors etc.
Hi Marce,

& thanks for replying ... It's interesting actually that I've been surfing around DIYaudio a good part of the day trying to find a schematic of how the clock circuits look like for the numerous ADs & DAs designed & built here. And besides a few schematics like e.g. Elso Kwak's I've found very little ... Maybe people here just know what is the best way to connect a crystal to a DAC or ADC or I may not know how to search ...?

Anyway, I've found these circuitries in different internet sites, but I don't know if either of them will lead to the best possible clock (please see thumbnails).

They are actually quite similar but maybe one of them - or a completely different circuitry - is better? Could it be that the PO74 inserted into the first thumbnail would be a feasible way to go for the best result?

Or might there be an advantage with Elso Kwak's circuitry compared with the other circuits?

About short traces I am aware of this and also shielding the clock with e.g. a ground plane.

Although the PCM4202 may not be the best AD converter around I'm hoping to make a clock circuitry that can also be used for later - possibly - better designs.

Insights are appreciated

Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NDK_application_note_circui.jpg (10.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg PCM4202-EVM-clock.jpg (238.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg PO74G04A-application-note.jpg (28.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg clock_suggestion_diyaudio.jpg (75.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg NDK__circuit2.jpg (62.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: gif kwak-clock-7-single-supply.gif (12.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Ervins is offline Ervins  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Default LJC

look here
Discrete Low Jitter Clock GB
Old 24th September 2012, 08:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Then find a goooood power supply schematics (extremely low noise, especially at low frequencies, and buy the crystek (the larger one, not the tiny SMD).
Old 25th September 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you want the ultimate clock circuitry look for discussions on communications telecom clocks etc
A decent oscillattor or crystalnext to the clock input pin is best, running clocks through wires or over a distance is detrimental to the signal.
Old 25th September 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

& thanks for your replies. I think I have a better grasp now of what I would like to do - seems the NDK oscillator actually just needs a good power supply to work :-)

Greetings!

Jesper

Hide this!Advertise here!