tda1541+ discrete output dac= high end? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tda1541+ discrete output dac= high end?

what are your opinions on this dac that i'm about to try my hand on?

i like the straight forward layout and from what i tried on cs4398, i like the sound of a discrete output
Old 21st September 2012, 01:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Whose version of the TDA1541 are you talking about? The sound of a multibit DAC is rather unlike the CS4398 - rather like quality silk compared to cheap rayon.
Old 21st September 2012, 03:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

oops i forgot this ebay link! shame on me, sir.

HiEND TDA1541 A DAC (CS8412 & SAA7220 OS) assembled borad | eBay

hehe im well aware hiw much better the 1541 will sound over single bit chips, just not by experience.

i liked what the discrete out did in place
of an op-amp is what i wanted to say.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
That designer's layout philosophy is a bit strange to my tastes - for example he's put all the regulators on the opposite side of the board from where they're actually needed. Having such long tracks (inductance, resistance) between the regulator and its chip defeats some of the advantages of using regs.

Also hard to believe its 'HIEND' when there's an SAA7220 in there - it tends to add a lot of noise to the power rails. Try it out NOS would be my advice.
Old 21st September 2012, 08:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks abrax. The traces will definitely be cut not too concerned about the regulator distance. In the past I've done some silly mods that defied the guideline on impedance and got away with excellent sound. I am looking for a suitable r core trafo for this project, tho.

Hide this!Advertise here!