Help with faulty Theta Data II Basic transport - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
bencat is offline bencat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Help with faulty Theta Data II Basic transport

I have had a really bad run of equipment breaking recently and after just getting my Dac back from repair there is now a problem with my Theta Data Basic II Transport.
This unit uses the Philips CDM 9 tranport mechanism the unit powers up and opens the CD drawer then takes the CD in and shows on the display the number of tracks and the full time of the disc .
You then press play and the number 1 plus a right facing arrow applies and normally there is an ascending clock figure showing the progres of the player.
Now nothing happens no move on the time and not output. Can anyone suggest what could be the problem and if it is going to be a difficult or costly repair.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Phisci is offline Phisci  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I had one of these. The laser died IIRC and was not able to have it repaired. There may be some laser gurus whoc could look for dry electrolytic caps or even change current settings. Good luck...
Old 30th August 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
bencat is offline bencat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Phisci but it does not make any sense that the laser has died on my Theta or it would not have been able to read the disc and display the number of tracks and timing information of the disc as it needs to spin and scm and toc data read which means that the laser can read the disc it is just stopping at play . Think this may be a software or control programme glitch and all it needs is a reset . Have got someone who is calling me later today and know how to jolt the IC chips to reset them and will see what that does.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Phisci is offline Phisci  South Africa
diyAudio Member

OK, Would be interested to hear how it goes.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Theta Basic II

Any luck repairing your Theta? I am looking for an IC chip that controls the philips laser.
Brooks

Hide this!Advertise here!