Philips Magnavox info needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
jgs is offline jgs  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Philips Magnavox info needed

Long ago I had a Magnavox cdb473 that I dearly loved. Jung mods and others. In a stupid move, I let it go. Now, I have acquired a neat mint CDB471 with the TDA1541A chips, nice stable CDM transport and the sweet sound is back. PROBLEM...... I really hate not having a remote. Does anyone know where there is a published doc that states which CDB players used which model # remotes? There are various ones on Fleabay and I'm sure I can find baskets full of remotes at all the junk stores in town... but which one???
Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way.... I really am not fond of Universal remotes but I if I have to resort to that, I will. Thanks again everyone!
Old 27th August 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

at first you need a service manual of your model like this:
MAGNAVOX CDB471 CD2471 CD Player Service Manual
or this
MAGNAVOX FPB360BK01 Turntable Service Manual
check out the type number of the internal used MCU (mostly mask programmable motorola ones) as next step and try to find the same MCU in a good known CD player from Philips by checking various service manuals (go to "hifi manuals" or similar portals for free download).
By the image about
http://www.bobscreens.com/images/mag...45552-4257.jpg
I read follow: ZC93486P
And by the URL
http://bidulic.free.fr/FICHIERS/PHIL...PS_CD_371.html
the same type is mentioned.
Thus the remote control for the CD371 from Philips must be actually the device, that you need.
Download therefore the associated service manual for exact informations:
http://elektrotanya.com/philips_cd37.../download.html

check out also this:
Starting cross reference for LSI processors and display drivers of cd player models
Help! CONRAD JOHNSON DF1 CDplayer-preamp

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 27th August 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you don't need the exact matching remote, any Philips CD remote will work because they use the same RC5 code. They do however have different function sets. If you can see what you're buying, just make sure it's for a CD player and has the buttons you need. Other European and US machines also use the same code, such as Arcam and Mission.
Old 29th August 2012, 06:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your bigger problem is whether or not the Magnavox CDB471 has the IR remote control receiver hardware fitted.

I assume that it's a re-badged Philips CD471; if it is you're out of luck.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicomputer View Post
Your bigger problem is whether or not the Magnavox CDB471 has the IR remote control receiver hardware fitted.

Motorola's ZC93486P uses not different software. Thus it is unlikely that different IR receiver hardware parts are used - so I think.
Old 29th August 2012, 03:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:

oops.

I assumed from OP that a receiver is fitted, as did tiefbassuebertr I guess.

I can't see provision for it on the main board either, which is unusually unlucky. Perhaps that entire range of machines was non-remote?
Old 12th October 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
jgs is offline jgs  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New game

I just ran across a CDB473. Powers up but......... the full display is on and no controls on the front have any effect on functions. Open/close button does not function. Almost likes it's in a test mode if in fact they had one. I did unplug all cables and inserted them multiple times hoping it was that simple but that didn't work. Owner claimed it worked fine and was used as a back up for DJ work before he shipped it. Craigslist deal and low $20 price.
ANY CLUES!!!!????
Old 13th October 2012, 05:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Could be the display/keyboard processor on the front panel board.

Are the players' parts interchangeable? Do they use the same processors (MABxxxx?)? Do you have a remote? You may be able to salvage the IR receiver from the 473 and transfer it to the 471, or swap the other way somehow.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:

If it is just a rebadged Philips CD471 then it's just a matter of fitting missing parts to display and main boards to make it CD472. All PCBs are IDENTICAL in these two players. You'll need a Sony or Sharp IR receiver, a few transistors, caps and SMT resistors.
I've fitted remote to various remote-less Philips players numerous times in the past, even to lovely little CD371.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main_472.jpg (219.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg display_472.jpg (323.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 14th October 2012, 01:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...lovely little CD371
I agree it's one of Philips' cutest. It's a shame it's got no volume control on the headphone output. Also a shame that some of the best examples of Philips styling are let down by failing displays.

Hide this!Advertise here!