How high to go with a NOS TDA1543? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2003, 06:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How high to go with a NOS TDA1543?

Hi,

Is anyone running their TDA1543 at 9V? I'm currently have mine at 8V and was wondering if 9V is worth trying. There is the odd mention that Lab 47 use 9V....

Cheers,
Anthony
Old 23rd October 2003, 07:20 AM   #2
rbroer is offline rbroer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just sacrifice one for the sake of "science", they're so cheap

Got one on 9.05V for a few hundred hours now, still alive
Old 23rd October 2003, 08:33 AM   #3
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Smile Re: How high to go with a NOS TDA1543?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Dockril
Hi,

Is anyone running their TDA1543 at 9V? I'm currently have mine at 8V and was wondering if 9V is worth trying. There is the odd mention that Lab 47 use 9V....

Cheers,
Anthony
Hi Anthony,
Mine is running at 5V.
Old 23rd October 2003, 02:08 PM   #4
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I have a 7809 regulator before it, so it must be running on 9V .
And for several weeks.

Anyone tried more TDA1543s (on top of each other) from a direct I2S connection to see if it is worth?

Miguel
Old 23rd October 2003, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a 7809 regulator before it, so it must be running on 9V .
Never trust 78xx completely, especially when they're the older types. The newer ones are fairly precise but I'd measure what voltage it has at the output to be sure.

I remember 7818 and 7918 that produced from 17 to nearly 20 V ( yes, with decoupling caps ).
Old 23rd October 2003, 04:54 PM   #6
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Jean Paul, how can you know if it's an old one or not?

I think it's the same where you live, small local electronic stores have parts since years. And I rerely saw a manufacturing date on an IC (especially not on a reg)
Old 23rd October 2003, 05:29 PM   #7
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

So I guess I was lucky, as mine gave 9.00VDC on my DMM. I decoupled it with 1uF film on both sides.

The real question (for me anyway) is how to decouple the DAC in order to get no noise or hum...

Miguel
Old 23rd October 2003, 07:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricolo
Jean Paul, how can you know if it's an old one or not?

I think it's the same where you live, small local electronic stores have parts since years. And I rerely saw a manufacturing date on an IC (especially not on a reg)

There are almost always datecodes on active components. Besides that old IC's aren't a problem as long as you check the voltage ( which you always should do in any circumstance as making errors is a human virtue ).

Quote:
The real question (for me anyway) is how to decouple the DAC in order to get no noise or hum...
Hum isn't a question of decoupling but more a bad ground layout or wrong wiring the thing. There are various sources on the web how to proper wire audio-gear so I won't go into that again.

Keyword is "ground loop".
Old 23rd October 2003, 11:02 PM   #9
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Anyone tried more TDA1543s (on top of each other) from a direct I2S connection to see if it is worth?

Miguel

Yes, have a look at the other 1543 thread. It is described in detail by happy ears.......
Old 24th October 2003, 12:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default passive power supply

Anthony,

Here's one to try. It's what I did and it works great with my 4x 1543 DAC, which runs at about 300mA.

Get a 12V SLA battery, about 5Ah. I got a 15R 15W surplus rheostat, and added a 10R 10W resistor for 10R-25R adjustment. Put this in series with the battery and adjust until the voltage is where you like it. You'll have about 20R of resistance. Since the battery is <1 ohm impedance, the effective impedance of the powersupply (before caps) is about 20R, which is pretty good. I follow this with 4x 220uF 16V cerafines, for a total of 880uF of capacitance, bypassed with 0.1uF 50V film caps.

This allows you to adjust voltage at will, and also gets that IC voltage regulator out of the PS.

Hide this!Advertise here!