Rotel RCD-971 cd won't spin - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Rotel RCD-971 cd won't spin

I think the motor that rotates the cd has malfunctioned. I have a modded Rotel RCD-971 and was installing a 5v positive voltage regulator and cap at the time. And now when I turn the unit on the motor "tries" to spin and focus the lens, but because it cannot spin the display reads 'No disc'. There is some juice flowing through it; it seems to sputter a tiny bit but not enough to keep going.

Perhaps I have shorted something out while doing the install (everything else seems to be fine) or maybe the voltage regulator (I was replacing a JRC 7805A) isn't able to supply the correct amount of power? I'm fairly certain the voltage regulator affects the transport. I double checked the solder joints. It could simply be that the motor is worn out after all these years, in any case, here is a pic of the part I might need.

It comes from a Sony KSL-2130CCM transport, but I'm having a hard time finding a better replacement or the motor I need. Can anyone help me out? I can post more pics or a full schematic, if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.jpg (36.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (86.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 26th August 2012, 06:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It coyld well just be the laser which is gone. Once it can focus the motor should work. But again the whole mechs dont cost much.
Old 26th August 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Appreciate the advice, justubes. Never occurred to me that I should just replace the entire mechanism. Maybe that will also get rid of the noise I was hearing from inside long before it stopped working.

I'm gonna pick one of these up next week.

Original Sony Optical Pickup | KSM-213CCM (KSM213CCM) | Distributed By MCM

Hide this!Advertise here!