The pcm1794a datasheet I/V converter and how to improve it. - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2012, 03:10 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

The OPA1641 should work too. I think it has a GB of 10MHz.
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:31 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

OK. I am unable to model -6.2mA on both the + and - pins of the current generator in Tina. So, I just modeled this part of the schematic and set the generator to 7.8mA sine wave with a -6.2mA DC offset. Performance is very good but there's a DC offset of -1.55V on the output. I don't know if that's a big deal. Distortion, noise and bandwidth are all excellent. S/N is 140dB. I'm impressed. The NE5534 performs extremely well. Input noise is 13picoV/Hz^0.5. Gain is just right at about 50dB. Of course, I adjusted the feedback resistor to achieve that. It seems to be fine at low resistor values. The outputs are running at 23mA. I didn't spend much time optimizing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NE5534 + buffer IV.JPG (36.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:59 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
OK. I am unable to model -6.2mA on both the + and - pins of the current generator in Tina. So, I just modeled this part of the schematic and set the generator to 7.8mA sine wave with a -6.2mA DC offset. Performance is very good but there's a DC offset of -1.55V on the output
Dirk,

That -1.55V offset is due to the -6.2mA bias current, and is correct for the the 250R feedback resistor used in your circuit. -6.2mA x 250R = -1.55V. No matter what value feedback resistor you use there will be a negative output voltage offset generated by the -6.2mA bias current. Which means that this circuit, as is, cannot be D.C. coupled and will require an output coupling cap.

You could implement a D.C. servo, which would need sink the entire -6.2mA bias current directly at the DAC's output pin. The main issue I foresee there is that the servo output would likely not have a very high output impedance, which means that it might contribute distortion to the signal. A more elegant solution for D.C. coupling would be to have an 6.2mA active current-sink (such as a JFET or an LM334) attached to the DAC's output pin, but obtaining zero would require manual adjustment. These solutions would require implementing a negative power supply.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 3rd September 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:27 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Dirk,

That -1.55V offset is due to the -6.2mA bias current, and is correct for the the 250R feedback resistor used in your circuit. -6.2mA x 250R = -1.55V. No matter what value feedback resistor you use there will be a negative output voltage offset generated by the -6.2mA bias current. Which means that this circuit, as is, cannot be D.C. coupled and will require an output coupling cap.

You could implement a D.C. servo, which would need sink the entire -6.2mA bias current directly at the DAC's output pin. The main issue I foresee there is that the servo output would likely not have a very high output impedance, which means that it might contribute distortion to the signal. A more elegant solution for D.C. coupling would be to have an 6.2mA active current-sink (such as a JFET or an LM334) attached to the DAC's output pin, but obtaining zero would require manual adjustment. These solutions would require implementing a negative power supply.
Thanks Ken, I appreciate your comments. What I modeled was only part of the entire TI circuit, since Tina doesn't allow me to have 2 signal sources in the same circuit, and I can't model -6.2mA on both pins of a single current source. What's missing from the circuit I posted is another IV converter identical to this one, and a balanced-to-unbalanced following opamp. I don't know what will be the result of -1.55V on both the + and - pins of the following opamp, mostly because I can't figure that out in my head. I guess it won't be a big deal but I can't do the math in my head. I was asked to model simms73's circuit earlier (post #3) and I finally got around to it now. I have software limitations that prevent me from modeling the entire TI circuit.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:31 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Use a separate CCS to model the 6.2mA center current.
Use IG to model the 7.8mA signal current.

Maybe that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
OK. I am unable to model -6.2mA on both the + and - pins of the current generator in Tina. So, I just modeled this part of the schematic and set the generator to 7.8mA sine wave with a -6.2mA DC offset. Performance is very good but there's a DC offset of -1.55V on the output. I don't know if that's a big deal. Distortion, noise and bandwidth are all excellent. S/N is 140dB. I'm impressed. The NE5534 performs extremely well. Input noise is 13picoV/Hz^0.5. Gain is just right at about 50dB. Of course, I adjusted the feedback resistor to achieve that. It seems to be fine at low resistor values. The outputs are running at 23mA. I didn't spend much time optimizing it.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:36 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro Arrow View Post
Use a separate CCS to model the 6.2mA center current.
Use IG to model the 7.8mA signal current.

Maybe that will work.
I think I tried something like that and the software got confused, or I got strange results. I can try again, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:41 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

I have been trying to follow this thread and learn more about I/V and just want to make sure I am getting my facts straight.

The Iout+ on pcm1794 put out between -2.3mA and -10.1mA centered on -6.2mA.

The Iout- put out between -2.3mA and -10.1mA 180 degrees out of phase with the Iout+ pins.

Is that correct?
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:45 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Dirk, you can try to put a 220 Ohm resistor between base and emitter of T2. Has nothing to do with the offset.
Old 3rd September 2012, 04:23 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro Arrow View Post
I have been trying to follow this thread and learn more about I/V and just want to make sure I am getting my facts straight.

The Iout+ on pcm1794 put out between -2.3mA and -10.1mA centered on -6.2mA.

The Iout- put out between -2.3mA and -10.1mA 180 degrees out of phase with the Iout+ pins.

Is that correct?
Yup.
Old 3rd September 2012, 04:26 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Dirk, you can try to put a 220 Ohm resistor between base and emitter of T2. Has nothing to do with the offset.
Did I do it right? Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simms73 IV.JPG (36.7 KB, 142 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!