CD player top load conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering modifying a caddy-load CD-ROM drive here into a top-load unit, mainly just for kicks, but also to see how well it works as a a transport for CD audio (the drive is one of those old NEC SCSI units that reportedly do make excellent transports, so I'm fairly hopeful). Anyway, I've about got it figured out, but I'm still a little fuzzy on how to get the top portion of the clamping mechanism to drop into place. With this drive, of course, the 'top portion of the clamping mechanism' is just a little metal and plastic disc integrated into the CD caddy, so there's going to be some work required there. Now I think I've seen some commercial door/clamps meant for DIY CD player projects, which might be ideal, though I can't seem to find the link anymore...

Anyone out there done a conversion like this? Not necessarily even with a caddy-based drive, but even just a tray-load? How've you dealt with the clamp?

Also, if anyone has any links to pages detailing any sort of top-load mods, I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Matt

Hello r0cket-,

You have several options depending on the disc clamping mechanism you have and how professional looking your end result should be.

-Use an old magnetic clamp from a scrap player (if the top of the turntable is iron/metal of course.

-Use a loose weight with the correct hole in it. You don't need to use a lot of pressure to keep a disc in place

I used both solutions in a lab situation where the covers /clamping mechanisms where always off anyway. It works fine.

If you realy want a nice and shiny solution there is some serious mechanical work to be done indeed.

Have fun!

Ward

LeoJar said:

Indeed, that's exactly the drive I have. :D

Could you describe a little more the mods you made to the main PCB and the digital output section? I notice a link to another page describing the mods to the digital output, but unfortunately it's in Chinese, which I can't read.

It does seem to be a rather nice drive, the transport unit especially. I plan to replace the power supply, relocate the control buttons and display, build a new chassis, etc. I've been thinking about digging a bit deeper into it and seeing if it's not possible to get some more information (like track length or a timer or something along those lines) from one of the controller chips, running that through a PIC and onto a better display, but that's way beyond my abilities at the moment.

Anyway, do you have a schematic for the modification to the digital output? I'd like to give that a shot, but I'm not quite experienced enough to figure it out from the pictures and descriptions I've seen.

Just what I was looking for

I'm trying to the exact same thing, BUT heres my problem I got a drive and a walkman cd motor (top load). I would like to know if it is as simple as I think it is?
Is the motor standardized? If not how do I find the perfect match.... Etc. Etc.

Eventually I will "truck" with the tray hardware later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.