Pioneer DV-05

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Pioneer DV-05 that I've used for about 12 years and would like to know the recommendations on how to upgrade. Is it time to re-cap? New opamps? After searching the forum there doesn't appear to be anyone that is applying mod's to this specific DVD player.

I appreciate any feedback,

Thanks,

John

The unit uses the PD8001A dac chip, which is actually a relabeled PCM1716. It's a cheap but pretty darn good sounding chip, despite being one of B-B's cheapest early multi-level bitstream chips for 24/96. It is strictly voltage out, which means it has output LPF opamps built into it, so the two succeding opamp stages are not necessary, and do more harm than good in stock form. The path I would recommend is to take the output straight from the dac output pins, via dc blocking caps, straight to output jacks. I'd suggest 100uf/16V Nichicon KZ Muse + parallel 0.47uf-1uf PP/MPP film + 0.01-0.1uf styrene film cap for each output blocking cap. I'd also put similarly good lytic + films on the dac chip's power supply pins, using much larger lytics(1000uf-2200uf/16V). Only remaining thing would be to replace any lytic caps on the SMPS power board that aren't Nichicons or Nippon Chemicons with Nichicons, for the sake of reliability & performance. The dac's opamps won't have much line drive ability, so you'll want short & high quality cables between unit & preamp, unless you add a good discrete buffer stage to the dac output.
I have a hell of a lot of experience upgrading DV-09/S9's for best sonics, but haven't ever done a DV-05, so can't say for sure, but the player should come out sounding really goddamn good.

Stephen,

Thanks for your feedback on the DV-05. I will be making this mod in the near future to upgrade the audio quality. This DVD is over a decade old and has been extremely reliable and I hope to enhance the quality with your knowledge ! Thanks very much for the detailed help !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.