CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good?

Hi Fellows,
If someone can recommend me a model to buy at Ebay I would appreciate it. I have my eye on this model:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

what do you think?

I think this is one of Weiliang's design. You need to confirm with the seller about two things:
1. It is using PCB revision 1.4 instead of older (e.g. 1.3)
2. If you care about 176.4kHz (and 88.2kHz), you need to make sure it comes with CM6631A instead of CM6631. Assuming the item description is up-to-date, it does not sound like it is using CM6631A.

I think this is one of Weiliang's design. You need to confirm with the seller about two things:
1. It is using PCB revision 1.4 instead of older (e.g. 1.3)
2. If you care about 176.4kHz (and 88.2kHz), you need to make sure it comes with CM6631A instead of CM6631. Assuming the item description is up-to-date, it does not sound like it is using CM6631A.

Thanks for your input, technically when do you use 176.4khz, when you need to over sample 44.1khz audio stream coming from CDs? If this is not the case when do you use it? If this is the case why do you have to over sample it, better audio?

Thanks for your input, technically when do you use 176.4khz, when you need to over sample 44.1khz audio stream coming from CDs? If this is not the case when do you use it? If this is the case why do you have to over sample it, better audio?

I don't actually do these (my 10-year old AV receiver maxes out at 96kHz), but my understanding of the benefits of 176.4kHz is:
1. DSD to PCM conversion, if you purchase DSD files or rip from SACD using a hacked PS3
2. Some people prefer integer multiple of upsampling, i.e. 44.1kHz -> 176.4kHz instead of 44.1kHz -> 192kHz.

Last edited:
I am interested in getting one of these. I need:

- Mac full compatibility
- SPDIF output (if I can easily add SPDIF with the I2S board I am all ears)
- 88.2k compatibility is preferred, but if it save me enough money I am willing to let this go

This seems to fit the bill, but uncased and no option for external power supply.

24bit 192kHz CM6631A USB to SPDIF Coaxial DAC USB Power SC | eBay

This one is almost perfect but doesn't do 88.2k.

New Hi Fi CM6631 USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF Convertor for DAC 192kHz 24bit | eBay

Are the ones from diyinhk better? But it is uncased and has no SPDIF.

24bit 192kHz USB to I2S SPDIF PCB CM6631 with Ultralow Noise 6 5UV Regulator | eBay

My question is, are they made equal (or almost)? Which ones should I be looking at?

I can't find boards equivalent to terranigma's links from taobao (so cannot find any comments.)

As for Navyblue's 1st link, I can find it from taobao but there are almost no useful comments. Due to post #228, I'd recommend having the option of external power.

2nd link: my comments in post #261 are applicable.

I don't believe they are made equal due to different designs and components, and quality of soldering as many of them are hand made. I use the one in post #34 (with optional TCXO upgrade.)

Taobao links:
The narrower boards same but different revisions.

The seller got excellent ratings. I read all the comments - there are no negative comments (taobao usually has very few negative comments, but having absolutely none is most certainly good.). All comments about the build quality are good. Most reported improved audio quality but two said it (the narrow blue version) still cannot compare with CD players.

I think, but am not 100% sure, the differences among the three are:
- The narrow green version is the oldest
- The narrow blue version is newer and has coaxial output
- The more expensive wide blue version has coaxial, optical (but the photo does not show the connector?!), I2S output and may have better components.

0.1ppm TCXO upgrade costs RMB140 extra.

Last edited:
As for Navyblue's 1st link, I can find it from taobao but there are almost no useful comments. Due to post #228, I'd recommend having the option of external power.

2nd link: my comments in post #261 are applicable.

I don't believe they are made equal due to different designs and components, and quality of soldering as many of them are hand made. I use the one in post #34 (with optional TCXO upgrade.)

Thanks. :)

As of now, I think the path of least resistance is the second link.

Is there a particular seller that has best/good reputation?

I don't rule out Taobao either, just haven't figure out how to make a purchase there.

The seller got excellent ratings. I read all the comments - there are no negative comments (taobao usually has very few negative comments, but having absolutely none is most certainly good.). All comments about the build quality are good. Most reported improved audio quality but two said it (the narrow blue version) still cannot compare with CD players.

I think, but am not 100% sure, the differences among the three are:
- The narrow green version is the oldest
- The narrow blue version is newer and has coaxial output
- The more expensive wide blue version has coaxial, optical (but the photo does not show the connector?!), I2S output and may have better components.

0.1ppm TCXO upgrade costs RMB140 extra.

Thank you for good brief. I'm actually looking for a easy customizable (reg+oscillator modifications) layout and close-to-chip I2S tapping headers. Narrow blue version seems fit for me in this perspective.

For TCXO, should I prefer replace 12Mhz one first?

For this one here, I just noticed that there is no capacitor on it, but quite a few inductor.

Hi Fi CM6631A 192kHz 24bit USB 2 0 to Coaxial Optical SPDIF Convertor DAC Board | eBay

For this one, there is neither capacitor nor inductor.

24bit 192kHz USB to I2S SPDIF PCB CM6631 with Ultralow Noise 6 5UV Regulator | eBay

Can any of you more informed folks infer anything from it? Is it a good thing to be able to do without capacitor in this kind of circuit? Or is this some kind of cost cutting measure?

Hi KlipschKid, I am trying to puzzle together your posts about diyinhk USB 192K CS6631A board and I am not sure why all your pictures have disappeared hindering this whole thread. I am trying to figure out how to make use of SPDIF out on that board because the pads are not solderable. The circuit should be there though, I think...Can somebody shed some light on this please. thanks

Hi KlipschKid, I am trying to puzzle together your posts about diyinhk USB 192K CS6631A board and I am not sure why all your pictures have disappeared hindering this whole thread. I am trying to figure out how to make use of SPDIF out on that board because the pads are not solderable. The circuit should be there though, I think...Can somebody shed some light on this please. thanks

I messaged the ebay seller recently. According to him/her, the output is only a few mA, and is good for a Toslink module. But for a coax output extra circuitry is needed.

As for KlipschKid, I wonder if you are taxing the SPDIF output? May be something like a 6:1 transformer to step down the V and beef up the I is more appropriate here? (assuming that such suitable parts exist)

I messaged the ebay seller recently. According to him/her, the output is only a few mA, and is good for a Toslink module. But for a coax output extra circuitry is needed.

As for KlipschKid, I wonder if you are taxing the SPDIF output? May be something like a 6:1 transformer to step down the V and beef up the I is more appropriate here? (assuming that such suitable parts exist)

Yep, I got the same reply from diyinhk, so I am no longer interested in trying SPDIF outputs on the board. Its not really intended to be used. Instead I will use the board for its real intended purpose: as a USB in, I2S out board @ 192KHz and as a MCLK source for the ES9018 board.