CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2012, 12:14 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
I have used adum4160, and heard the improvement so I know AD's isolators do the job.

have you used adum4160 on the CM6631 interface?
I read somewhere that used on some other interfaces, this adum chip made the USB-I2S board unrecognisable by the windows drivers and after taking it out, everything switched back to normal
Old 25th December 2012, 12:19 PM   #82
Account disabled at member's request

Adum4160 doesn't work for cm6631 - I tried - no device detected. It works with Tenor 7022L, UDA1321, pcm270X etc but not this.
Old 26th December 2012, 01:32 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Hi ,
Merry Christmas!
Couldn't wait to heard your result.

Enjoy the holiday.
And to you !

I had a few moments before Boxing day kicks off to do this - added some 100R smd resistors to the I2S lines. It's a hack, so it looks ugly but the connections are 100%. I can add the adum3440 after the resistors.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:21 PM   #84
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
To do a good job you should mount the clock on the clean side, after the isolator (near the DAC) and send it back to the USB-I2S chip through (another) isolator. I2S lines should be reclocked after the isolator, too.

Of course you need two separated power supplies and the ground on the two sides must be isolated, too.
Old 26th December 2012, 01:31 PM   #85

Hi,

The DACs I will use this with either have their own clock (AMB y2) or will run off the MCLK, so there's no need for the extra return.

After the adum3440, I was thinking about using a 74VHC157 to provide an I2S switch for a second I2S feed. Should do the job ?

Cheers
Old 27th December 2012, 10:48 AM   #86

Default Frankensolder

On the third attempt, finally, I got reliable strong solder joints. What a dog's dinner. Those smd resistors did not want to co-operate, and I went through 8 of them, but I was determined to use them for the better performance, and finally, it was done and with 100% good connections. The cable is cat6 single core. the grey putty makes sure the joins don't get stressed. I plan to use a filter+3.3V reg for the input side but for initial tests, power is direct from the usb. Unfortunately, I've run out of time so it'll have to wait until the new year to test.

Unix - I have realised you mean desoldering the clocks on the USB side and thus allowing them to be isolated. But there are three xo's, and the usb pcb locates them very close to the CM6631, so I'm certain that relocating them for cleaner power would result in longer lines and more, not less, jitter. So instead I have used a cap multiplier to clean up the usb power to this board, along with an ultra low esr Nichicon PL cap, described in post 46

Last edited by KlipschKid; 27th December 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 28th December 2012, 01:08 AM   #87
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Your hack gives a new meaning to "isolator" :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
The adum3440 arrived today. I don't have a wide body adapter pcb, so I cut a regular sop16 in half, soldered on the adum, and then used epoxy putty to make a very strong bridge. I'll try fitting it after the holidays, to see if it makes a difference.

Merry Christmas !

Old 28th December 2012, 11:59 PM   #88

:-)

I wonder what the electrical properties of epoxy putty are..... it could be a great material for "custom" electronics....? ;-)
Old 29th December 2012, 11:25 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
Merry Christmas (late) and happy New Year!
I have one of diyinhk usb to I2s converters but have not been able to make it sing,In foobar it says it's loaded at least down in the left bottom corner and it says the cm audio device is found,drivers from site,winxp pro,but no output so I took it loose and connected a scope, should I be able to read these outputs with out a dac connected to it and does it seem to have the drivers loaded correctly,I am about ready to load linux ubuntu newest and try to see if it will find and load it,and of course play it!
Thanks ,
No Smoking,lol a play on burning up perfectly good parts,lol
Old 30th December 2012, 01:25 AM   #90

I'd like to help but I'm using Win7. I'd suggest you contact the seller - he's very helpful.

Hide this!Advertise here!