CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2014, 10:27 AM   #461
diyAudio Member

wklie, yes it seems strange ... special besause this firmware then shouldn't be able to load on the 6631A at all.
I was not able to load the latest Asuc Xonar firmware succesfully, and I guess that it is because Asus is playing with a (non A) 6631.
After all, I guess it is possible for the engineer who runs the compiler, to put in any value of FW and PID in the source code - and then make 2 different firmware's with same version.
I have only tested the setup for compability with Android.
I have not verifyed the samplerate and bit depth from my Android phone - only that it is now possible to play music from my Android via the USB interface.
I will investigate further in this aspect and report to this forum later ....
Old 7th January 2014, 04:22 PM   #462
sDieter is offline sDieter  Germany
diyAudio Member

read this:
XMOS USB on Mac
Old 8th January 2014, 09:30 AM   #463
marckus is offline marckus  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default usb cable length

Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried any cm6631/cm3661A boards with long usb cables, 5 meters for example. I had an external sound card with the cm6632 (asus xonar u7) and it would not work properly wit a 5 meter usb cable (the measured voltage drop at the end of the cable was not much so i do not think it is a power issue, but it may be an interference issue caused by the cable length). I really liked the improved sound quality of the cm6632 optical output coupled to my pcm1798 dac but cable length is critical in my setup. I have a pcm2707 usb to toslink interface that I built a while ago and that one works perfectly with the same 5 meter usb cable. The cable seems o be of good quality.
Old 8th January 2014, 11:51 AM   #464
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit13 View Post
What do you mean? Why is it bad to use a USB isolator?

(on USB 1 doing 24/96, yes that is possible, for example on the Tenor TE7022L, but I've never seen an asynchronic USB interface that does more than 48/24 in USB 1.)
I mean that idea to use USB isolator and USB interface from separate sources ends up with nonfunctional combination (I don't know how to name it since 48KHz is not something that I expected from chip which can goes up to 192KHz/24-bit). It seems that some combination works, as you mentioned one, but mine doesn't work.
Old 9th January 2014, 06:57 AM   #465
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marckus View Post
Hello everyone!
Has anyone tried any cm6631/cm3661A boards with long usb cables, 5 meters for example. I had an external sound card with the cm6632 (asus xonar u7) and it would not work properly wit a 5 meter usb cable (the measured voltage drop at the end of the cable was not much so i do not think it is a power issue, but it may be an interference issue caused by the cable length). I really liked the improved sound quality of the cm6632 optical output coupled to my pcm1798 dac but cable length is critical in my setup. I have a pcm2707 usb to toslink interface that I built a while ago and that one works perfectly with the same 5 meter usb cable. The cable seems o be of good quality.
i have cm6631a board (usb powered) and if works with long cable (5m) but it is active usb cable - generally you can use 4 segments (up to 20M) but i am using only 2 segments so total length 10m
Old 9th January 2014, 08:23 AM   #466
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasimix View Post
I mean that idea to use USB isolator and USB interface from separate sources ends up with nonfunctional combination (I don't know how to name it since 48KHz is not something that I expected from chip which can goes up to 192KHz/24-bit). It seems that some combination works, as you mentioned one, but mine doesn't work.
The perceivable difference between 48 and 192KHz is really small, because our ears do not hear above 20KHz, and 48KHz sample rate is sufficient to store frequencies up to 24KHz. The main result of 192KHz sample rate is more high frequency noise, which is bad. But that's a long discussion.
The perceivable difference from isolating the very noise PC power supply, from a clean audio power supply is very significant.
So I wouldn't state that a 48KHz device is "non-functional"!
Old 10th January 2014, 09:31 PM   #467
Kepsz is offline Kepsz  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtsai View Post
Hi all:
There are so many request for the CM6631A Configurate Tool. I decide to put it here. If you need it you can download it. But please note this tool can only use to generate CM6631A firmware. You can not use this firmware which generate by this tool on CM6631, CM6632 and CM6632A. If you do that you device may not function any more.
This tool do not include firmware update tool. You need ask your IC provider or device provider to got it.
Thanks a lot! But wich version of fwupdate tool are compatible with it's output? I got 2.0.1.3, but it sad: firmware file format error.
I have no luck with searching for newer version like 2.0.1.9 shown here: CM6631A 384KHz | H i F i D U I N O
Old 11th January 2014, 01:41 AM   #468
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepsz View Post
Thanks a lot! But wich version of fwupdate tool are compatible with it's output? I got 2.0.1.3, but it sad: firmware file format error.
When you get this error, unplug and replug the USB connection of the CM6631(A) device.

Make sure you're on real Windows XP.
Old 11th January 2014, 01:40 PM   #469
Kepsz is offline Kepsz  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
When you get this error, unplug and replug the USB connection of the CM6631(A) device.

Make sure you're on real Windows XP.
It's giving back the same error on a machine from stone age with XP. Unplug / replug does not change this, still not accepts the firmware file. I think it's not an OS based problem.
Instead of updates the updater at least able to read the generated hex file specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Névtelen.jpg (56.4 KB, 439 views)
Old 12th January 2014, 11:58 PM   #470
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepsz View Post
It's giving back the same error on a machine from stone age with XP. Unplug / replug does not change this, still not accepts the firmware file. I think it's not an OS based problem.
Instead of updates the updater at least able to read the generated hex file specs.
You should erase the firmware on the device first.
Unplug and plug in again.
The left side with Version, PID etc will be empty.
Then you can upload the firmware to the device without the error.

Hide this!Advertise here!