Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2013, 10:06 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

Can be transferred DSD over PCM using a board with CM6631A and DAC with WM8741/AK4399/CS4398/ES9018, through TOSLink (WM8805)?
Old 27th September 2013, 02:38 PM   #402
tdtsai is offline tdtsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi
I think it is passable. But you need a DSP between CM6631A and WM8741/AKM4399/CS4398/ES9018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwolf View Post
Can be transferred DSD over PCM using a board with CM6631A and DAC with WM8741/AK4399/CS4398/ES9018, through TOSLink (WM8805)?
Old 28th September 2013, 08:26 AM   #403
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtsai View Post
Hi
I think it is passable. But you need a DSP between CM6631A and WM8741/AKM4399/CS4398/ES9018.
Atmel? But such boards aren't present on sale?
In CM6631A there is a galvanic isolation?
Old 28th September 2013, 07:56 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

I've just bought this DAC with the intention to use it for my MBP. It's cool that this DAC is regconized immediately without any driver. So I confirmed this work with Mac OS X.

However mine does not work properly. Both outputs of RCA & headphone are selectable, but there is no sound/signal coming out from from these output. I checked with Windows 7, still the same. I contacted the seller but he just hid away from me.

So before giving up, I want to come to this awesome forum to ask you guys:
- What are the possible problems with the DAC?
- Can I fix it with very little knowledge of soldering & circuit?

Thank you in advance!
Old 30th September 2013, 02:32 AM   #405
jkorten is offline jkorten  United States
diyAudio Member

How much did the unit cost? (wondering if this is worth your time)

Perhaps somebody attempted a firmware upgrade and failed. You can try to do another, if there is no way to do one, the previous owner's attempt to upgrade the firmware may have rendered the system unuseable.
Old 30th September 2013, 02:39 AM   #406
jkorten is offline jkorten  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't bother opening up the DAC. There won't be anything you can fix.

Oh and report the seller on ebay!
Old 5th October 2013, 12:09 AM   #407
uncola is offline uncola  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the cm6631a/cs4398 by weiliang in the breeze audio grey aluminum box.. would there be any sound quality advantage for me to use tdsai's tool to change the 44.1/48khz base block to 64? Or should I just leave it alone.. My RCA outs work great as a dac, but the headphone out has very hissy audio above 70% windows volume
Old 7th October 2013, 02:39 AM   #408
tdtsai is offline tdtsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi
I do not suggest you use my tool if you device have more than one output. If you use my tool your device will only function with RCA output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
I have the cm6631a/cs4398 by weiliang in the breeze audio grey aluminum box.. would there be any sound quality advantage for me to use tdsai's tool to change the 44.1/48khz base block to 64? Or should I just leave it alone.. My RCA outs work great as a dac, but the headphone out has very hissy audio above 70% windows volume
Old 7th October 2013, 10:29 AM   #409
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emueyes View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have two boards, Inforce Computing - Product-IFC6410
and ODROID | Hardkernel

The Snapdragon runs Fedora 19, the Odroid has Ubuntu 13; I would like to use the Snapdragon for this project, the U2 is pretty much busy.

The board I was looking at in in the beginning is HI FI CM6631A 192kHz 24bit USB 2 0 TO Coaxial Optical Spdif Convertor DAC Board | eBay
although I have since seen more discussion and many more boards at

The right USB DAC for your Raspberry Pi - RaspyFi

I believe I need the same thing. Some are also almighty expensive ! I was hoping to find a board that I could include inside a case, with the ARM board, disk drive and PSU to make a self contained unit. If not, something more or less inline, to go between the ARM board and the receiver.

Many thanks for help on this, it is very confusing. For one thing, I don't see that I need a DAC, both USB and SPDIF are digital. The DACs in my receiver, a Denon X1000 should be quite OK, indeed I'm very happy with them playing audio over HDMI [just why audio-over-HDMI isn't a feature of these ARM boards is a matter I'm talking with them about. It is especially galling when the tout accelerated video playback as a major feature].

There are many boards linked off that page on RasPis, I imagine I vould just choose one that suits my budget and proceed, though I'm still confused nt the DAC thing. I have seen a card CM6631A USB Daughter Card | eBay which is appealing because it could be included in a case, and is relatively inexpensive. The other is this one Xmos 192kHz High Quality USB to SPDIF with Ultralow Noise 6 5UV Regulator | eBay specifically stating Linux use. I realise I could buy some little $80 Android box, but that is effectively what I'm trying to build, and enjoy this, hence the ARM boards in the first place.
Hi,

I still don't get what you are aiming at. What should the system in the end do? Stream music to the Denon receiver, and being controlled via a website / controll app? Just a stand-alone PC.

If you are satisfied with the DACs inside your Denon, and it has HDMI audio, then go that route. A Raspberry Pi has excellent HDMI audio support. Just use a XBMC image for the Pi, and it will playback audio just fine over HDMI.

USB audio on ARM devices can be rather troublesome. At least on the Pi it's not the way to go (the USB implementation is horrible).
Old 7th October 2013, 08:23 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtsai View Post
Hi
I also want to does there any different. Please PM me your email then I can email you the tool.
Today, I received the CM6631A board, and it works fine. Unfortunately, your tool doesn't work for me. I get a "Firmware file Format Error" when I try to upload a generated firmware hex file to the board. (via ASUS Xonar Essence One USB FW Update Tool)

Most settings can be seen here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tings_fail.png

the board is: eBay item 370851652075

driver is "U6631_6631A-120716-7.0.11.80(W7-ER-01)" by C-Media (Emotiva_XDA-2_Unified_Windows_USB_Driver_2012_12_12)

what update tool and driver should I use?

Hide this!Advertise here!