CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 04:54 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
Did you do the update on Windows XP? Which firmware did you try - the 2203 from nutsaudio web page? Are you sure you have CM6631 instead of CM6631A?

Since your device no longer works, perhaps you may even try flashing the Asus Xonar Essence One firmware.

If you get it to work, I'd suggest you use an external power supply (if your converter has a DC input), or use a USB 2.0 hub that requires power.

First of all, thanks for your reply...

I try to update on Windows 7 with XP mode. Still there is a green light on led however windows doesnt recognize or FW update recognize it rarely and seems there is no firmware in device but it cant write firmware.
I try 2203 from nutsaudio there was no problem, but something occurs when i try flashing Asus Xonar firmware.
I'm not sure I have CM6631, however on the case of device it was written cm6631 and when. If necessary, I can open the case and see what realy inside it.
I'm using dc input with power supply or usb 2.0 already, as I said there is green light but...

Is there any possibilty to FW updater works better on real XP than XP mode on Windows 7 ?
Old 14th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #192
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzeyboun View Post
Is there any possibilty to FW updater works better on real XP than XP mode on Windows 7 ?
From what I've read, using real XP is mandatory. Emotiva even says if you use Windows 7 to flash its CM6631 product XDA-2, you'll kill it.
Old 17th February 2013, 07:38 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From what I've read, using real XP is mandatory. Emotiva even says if you use Windows 7 to flash its CM6631 product XDA-2, you'll kill it.
Thanks for your help, I found a pc with XP and I flash the firmware with nuts audio links and using nutsaudio driver it is working now.

Now, there is little problem came back, sometimes lag/interruption occurs once 2-3 minutes while playing music, using asio or wasapi doesnt change the status. I'm using headroom micro dac. Usb to microdac doesnt have this problem so it can cause only from:

CM6631 product with or without dc adapter
Hama 42971 Optical Cable ( I suspect this especially )
Hama USB A-B Cable Gold Plated Double Shielded

Or driver/firmware.

I read nearly all the topic however I can't see something like this. What can be related to this, its seems little problem but can be really annoying.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:37 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now, there is little problem came back, sometimes lag/interruption occurs once 2-3 minutes while playing music, using asio or wasapi doesnt change the status.
It's great to hear that you successfully revived it!

Please uninstall the nutsaudio driver and try this one:
http://emotiva.com/resources/media/x...2012_12_12.zip

If it does not work, try this one instead:
http://www.diyinhk.com/support/U6631...1_20120730.rar

In the CM6631 ASIO driver, there's a buffer setting. If you are using foobar, I think it has another buffer setting. Try increasing those buffer values.

At which sampling rate are you having these issues? If you are having problems with 44.1kHz, try 96kHz or 48kHz (enable resampling if necessary). If you have problems with 48/96/192 kHz, try 44.1kHz.

What CPU do you have on your PC? If you have a CPU weaker than Intel Core cores, it may be a problem. You may also try running DPC Latency Checker (though I've never used it) to check if your PC configuration has a problem:
DPC Latency Checker
Old 18th February 2013, 05:35 AM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You may also try running DPC Latency Checker (though I've never used it) to check if your PC configuration has a problem:
DPC Latency Checker
Thanks for your all help, the problem caused from my wireless driver, it was very old (2009) and I didn't know it until using this DPC latency checker!

And also I install emotiva driver. Works perfectly!

You are great problem solver , thanks a lot again
Old 18th February 2013, 07:46 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for your all help, the problem caused from my wireless driver, it was very old (2009) and I didn't know it until using this DPC latency checker!

And also I install emotiva driver. Works perfectly!

You are great problem solver , thanks a lot again
Great! I still can't solve my own problem though. I still have not found a way to change the incorrect PID/VID in my USB-to-SPDIF converter. Despite various versions of CM6631(A) firmware being mentioned from various forums, I have not been able to found those firmware for download, other than the nutsaudio 2203 that is not for CM6631A.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:18 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

I check the VID/PID numbers of my device for you and its 0x0D8C/0x0309 sorry. I don't think there is a way to change pid-vid, and I search your messages and it is different from yours. I only have 2203 firmware. Maybe you should contact other sellers on ebay or aliexpress, I think they should have some other firmwares?
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:23 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

An update for the Linux users out there. I just recieved my CM6631 USB/SPDIF converter.

I can confirm that with kernel 3.7.6 this board is plug and play USBAudio 2. Does 24/196 and all other common bitrate/res combinations wihout a hitch. Issues with switching bitrates from one song to the next have been resolved.

Oh, and it sounds fantastic, too. $37 no-brainer.
Old 24th February 2013, 08:19 AM   #199
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
An update for the Linux users out there. I just recieved my CM6631 USB/SPDIF converter.

I can confirm that with kernel 3.7.6 this board is plug and play USBAudio 2. Does 24/196 and all other common bitrate/res combinations wihout a hitch. Issues with switching bitrates from one song to the next have been resolved.

Oh, and it sounds fantastic, too. $37 no-brainer.
What Linux are you using ? Mint ? Just curious. And do you have a 31 or a 31A ?

And yes, total no-brainer.
Old 24th February 2013, 03:06 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Yes. Mint. How did you guess?

31A

By the way, if anyone is wondering, no I am not letting ALSA do any sample rate conversion, as you can see here:

Code:
paul@paul-1005HA ~ $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_3LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 1024
buffer_size: 8192
rate: 88200 (88200/1)
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
format: S16_LE
rate: 44100 (44100/1)

Last edited by cogitech; 24th February 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!