CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 02:56 AM   #131
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by pji View Post
Currently using it with a USB Isolator board (ADUM4160 based), output to a ES9023 home made DAC (Works equally well without the Isolator, but wished to use this and it was an easy way of introducing an external supply for the CM6631 board).

In this configuration, I do find that the DAC needs to be powered up before the PC in order for it to be detected.
Fantastic ! I tried this non-plug-n-play and it works with both CM6631 and 31A !

It all has to be connected and powered up before booting the PC, but it works.

Downsides :

- both 31 and 31A are limited to 48Khz or they don't work; "device does not support this sample rate".
- 31A asio driver only allows 16 bit.
- 31 driver allows all bit depths up to 32bit.

But hey, it works...
Old 31st January 2013, 05:03 AM   #132
tdtsai is offline tdtsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

It's means your device is in full speed mode. Not in high speed mode. You should check your board design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
Fantastic ! I tried this non-plug-n-play and it works with both CM6631 and 31A !

It all has to be connected and poweured up before booting the PC, but it works.

Downsides :

- both 31 and 31A are limited to 48Khz or they don't work; "device does not support this sample rate".
- 31A asio driver only allows 16 bit.
- 31 driver allows all bit depths up to 32bit.

But hey, it works...
Old 31st January 2013, 05:13 AM   #133
tdtsai is offline tdtsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I know why alsa driver does not work in CM6631 device. The problem is set sampling rate time. Alsa driver set clock unit after select interface, its different with mac osx driver. if you change set clock unit before select clock unit then alsa driver can work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
Linux supports UAC2 async standard natively, via its ALSA drivers (included in the kernel).

Unfortunately, while it works perfectly with other UAC2 chipsets (e.g. Xmos, AudioWidget, Amanero, ecc), with this specific chip (CM6631) there seems to be some problems that needs to be fixed.

Perhaps DIYINHK may help by providing a sample card to the ALSA driver developers...
Old 31st January 2013, 07:35 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtsai View Post
Its means your device is in full speed mode. Not in high speed mode.
ADUM4160 doesn't support high-speed so of course it is full speed; the point of my post is that it CAN work in full-speed, but not plug-and-play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtsai View Post
You should check your board design
Why ? What for ?
Old 31st January 2013, 02:50 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Default This kit is not an audio device

USB Isolator. « Circuits@Home

oleg
March 21, 2012 at 6:25 am Reply
This kit is an USB isolator, not an audio device. It supports full/low USB speeds and whatever information you can transmit at these speeds, including audio.
Old 31st January 2013, 02:54 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ADUM4160 doesn't support high-speed so of course it is full speed; the point of my post is that it CAN work in full-speed, but not plug-and-play.

Why ? What for ?
The ADUM4160 oleg
March 21, 2012 at 6:25 am Reply
This kit is an USB isolator, not an audio device. It supports full/low USB speeds and whatever information you can transmit at these speeds, including audio.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:56 PM   #137
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

New product with isolator : Isolated 24bit 192kHz USB to I2S SPDIF CM6631A PCB for ES9018 AK4399 PCM1794 | eBay

They keep their eyes very close on this thread !!!
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:45 AM   #138
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I've just bought the USB to SPDIF converter in post #34 on page 4 from Weiliang's shop (not via ebay). I was told it'd use CM6631A instead of CM6631 (I've not opened up the converter to check it visually, yet). The hardware works, but I've run into some driver/firmware issues:

1. Using C-Media July 2012 drivers, foobar ASIO output via native ASIO drivers results in no sound in SPDIF. Switching to ASIO4ALL driver works though. The foobar ASIO channel map shows Headphone and Speaker but no SPDIF in the native ASIO driver (which I suspect is the reason for my problem), whereas the ASIO4ALL does have the SPDIF output in the channel map. Could somebody who has working foobar native ASIO output to SPDIF tell me what their channel map looks like?

2. 88.2kHz has no sound. I found this strange since I supposedly have the CM6631A which adds 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz to CM6631. I suspect this may be related to the firmware. Does anyone know how to check firmware version? I can only find the 2203 firmware for download. From a Chinese forum I see there is firmware 2205 and 2206 as well, but I can't find them after a lot of google.

3. I tried to install the C-Media April 2012 drivers, but it refuses to install since it cannot get past the detection of the C-Media converter. Is this because CM6631A is only supported starting from the July drivers?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:50 AM   #139

Hi,

Sounds like you have a CM6631. Check the control panel - sound - properties - supported formats. Check the boxes for all the sample rates. Does this fix it ?

cheers
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:20 AM   #140
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
Sounds like you have a CM6631. Check the control panel - sound - properties - supported formats. Check the boxes for all the sample rates. Does this fix it ?
I enabled them but no sound at 88.2 kHz. I think that earlier in this thread you got foobar ASIO output to SPDIF working, right? Would you mind telling me what's listed in your foobar ASIO channel map? Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!