dac I/V convertion with very low distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Ken, so this is not an ideal circuit for a PCM1704 then? as to get 2v out, the loading for the dac would be too high at 2.35kohms? When the ideal should be much lower, around 10-100ohms. Is this correct? still learning about I/V's.

Cheers George

George,

This circuit will work extremely well for PCM1704 with a few simple mods to
'bend' it towards lower current / higher OP impedance.

I have built virtually same circuit with 10k OP Z (load) and the simulated
results were somewhere around 0.0001% at 20kHz depending on the
particular design. There are many variations to the basic theme.

It will need a servo but that is also not too difficult.

cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry, I also dug this up with a bit of searching, I think the author has a good rep, the name rings a bell. M.O.J. Hawksford.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Current-Steering Transimpedance Amplifiers for High-Resolution Digital-to-Analogue Converters M..JPG
    Current-Steering Transimpedance Amplifiers for High-Resolution Digital-to-Analogue Converters M..JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 546
test with 3 different output configuration. this was made with 1kohm of input impedance to bring up distortion.
first is normal x connection, second is with drivers collector connected to OUT, third is drivers collectors connected to ground.

with high input inpedance the distortion will not be visible in the first 2 images.

This proves that low distortion can be achieve without the x connection.

Attachments

• output.png
    output.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 481
  • dist_to_x_1k.PNG
    dist_to_x_1k.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 468
  • dist_to_out_1k.PNG
    dist_to_out_1k.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 434
  • dist_to_gnd_1k.PNG
    dist_to_gnd_1k.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Sergio, very cool. :cool: Thanks, for posting the schematic. I'll offer further comment after I've had opportunity to model the circuit in my simulator. Specifically, I'm curious to examime how sensitive the circuit is to producing D.C. output offset, due to small amounts of parameter mismatch between the two complementary current sources.

The one i have in breadboard is with blue led (bad choice), the output voltage varies no more than +-20mv with temp. But I recommend a output capacitor. Its possible to use a dc-servo, but i dont think it is not necessary, it makes sense in a power amplifier to get rid of the bipolar capacitor in the feedback , but in this case i think that a polypropylene capacitor will be the best choice, but it is open to discussion :)

Thanks.... I think, a good solution... if you make a cascoded Jfet CCS. you have Tera-Ohm impedance for the first more than 100 KHz then dropping with the capacitance of the cascode Jfet. but never lower than a couple of hundred Kohms.

MiiB Jfet CCS are the simplest solution for making a CCS but the jfet parameters are not very accurate. but is a possibility. ;)
im sorry but Tera-Ohm impedance is not possible. even 1pf of parasitic capacitance would bring it down even at 1Hz. The cascode serves to stabilize the voltage across the ccs, but in this case is not necessary as the input voltage is 9mv rms maximum.

Have you already read the paper about ccs that ken newton post ? if not read it , there is a lot of good information.

Thanks Ken, so this is not an ideal circuit for a PCM1704 then? as to get 2v out, the loading for the dac would be too high at 2.35kohms? When the ideal should be much lower, around 10-100ohms. Is this correct? still learning about I/V's.

Cheers George

George, whether a 2.35k output impedance is too high or not will mostly depend on the total amount of shunt capacitance presented by the interconnect cable (typically, about 50pF per foot) plus that of the input of the next gain stage. The output impedance forms a low-pass filter in conjunction with that shunt capacitance.

Output impedance in itself does not say anything about the sound quality of a line level gain stage. For example, the Hovland HP-100, for example, was a very highly regarded tube linestage having a 2.4kohm output impedance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.