dac I/V convertion with very low distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is very similar to Dr. Leach's moving coil head amp:
Moving Coil Cartridge Head Amps

So, you will achieve lower noise and lower input impedance by removing the emitter resistors R1, R2. If you use current mirrors as suggested by Dr. Leach, then a further improvement should occur. You can lower the input impedance even more by doubling up the input BJT's. I have a similar circuit that has about 1 ohm input impedance.

The DACs that you like have DC current on their output pins which will upset the balance of your circuit. The PCM1794a for example puts out -6.2mA of DC current. Something has to be done about that as well.

Hi dirkwright,
I don't think they are similar.
If i remove R1 and R2 , it will be difficult to control the current variation due to temperature, doubling up the input BJT's is a valid choice, and i think will lower the noise.

Hi dirkwright,
I don't think they are similar.
If i remove R1 and R2 , it will be difficult to control the current variation due to temperature, doubling up the input BJT's is a valid choice, and i think will lower the noise.

OK. I think that using the current mirror version will regulate the current, won't it? Also, the matching of the transistors plays a major role in this circuit.

Last edited:
i'm going to try to explain how this topology works.
Its very simple, look at this image, we have a current source I2 , this current is divided by the input and output, if the input current increase 1ma the output must decrease 1ma, its similar to a differencial stage, there is no current gain, so this topology is more like a current mirror than a amplifier.

Attachments

• base1.jpg
    base1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,204
Where did you read that? It might have been true for the old style multibit DACs - they relied on laser trimming of their resistor networks. That's one reason for why PCM1704 is so much more expensive than say PCM1792. But CMOS DACs such as the PCM179x series are designed not to need trimming - that's one of the big advantages in manufacturing for S-D type DACs.

I read it in a paper by Analog Devices. They may have been referring to an older DAC architecture, I don't know.

Its very simple, look at this image, we have a current source I2 , this current is divided by the input and output, if the input current increase 1ma the output must decrease 1ma, its similar to a differencial stage, there is no current gain, so this topology is more like a current mirror than a amplifier.

It's just a common base amplifier. There's nothing mysterious about it.

OK. I think that using the current mirror version will regulate the current, won't it? Also, the matching of the transistors plays a major role in this circuit.

this topology is not like Dr.Leach. I dont see how to use the current mirror :confused:
Are you sure that you understand how it works?

Mouser sells some dual nxp transistores that have 98% matching hfe and vbe for under 0.2 euros :cool:

I think this topology is also very interesting for a Transimpedance MC phono stage.
The only thing that worries m is noise into low impedance, say an MC cartridge that has 6 Ohm DC impedance. On one hand the ist the R9 4kOhm resistor. On the other hand there is Q2, Q5. The Base-Emitter resistance is in the noise loop even when the bias to that transistors is made very low impedance. What whould happen if R9 will be shunted by a big Electrolytic ?

Hi Joachim
Unfortunately, i don't know anything about MC phono stage, but if you tell me what you need, i will be happy to help.
You can shunt r9, but i really don't see why.

the input is a common base amplifier, and of course that there is something mysterious :D ... the way that q7 and q8 are connected, without them is impossible to achieve such low distortion.

Q7 and Q8 provide bias to the bases of Q6 and Q3, and also appear to receive a feedback signal on their collectors. There's nothing magical about it, though I may not completely understand it.

smms, that cap would short the bases of the input stage, so there is a low impedance path that lowers the noise. Only the emitter resistors and the base-emitters of the input transistors whould then be in the noise chain. Say we drive the input transistors on 5.5mA each and use BC327-BC337 we end up with 10 Ohm / 6 plus 30 Ohm / 6 = 6.666 Ohm.
That would be a very low noise input.

Hi Zinsula,
i was told that the output impedance of the pcm1794 is 2M with 22pf, try to find in internet for the real value, but no luck :(.
[...]how do you come to 1k :confused:, i think is very low for a current source, if someone knows the real value please post.
Oh, I didn't realise, you are designing with a D/S DAC in mind.
I live in the stone age of R2R DAC's (PCM1704 / AD1862 et al). Their output impedance are in the range of 1 to 2kOhms. There is data posted at another forum.

Delta Sigma DAC like PCM1794 work differently and might have quite higher output impedance, but I have no idea how high it is. 2M seems a lot though.
Anyway, they seem to be less picky regarding the impedance they see at the output.

It's a folded cascode stage. Some even replace the ccs (I2 in this simplified schematic) with a resistor, as it forms a ccs anyway.

See here what I had in mind some years ago...you may also see how you can bias the input transistors.

It mirrors the input current to the high impedance node (collector).
I still do not really get what the transistors Q7 and 8 are doing special other than providing a low impedance biasing for the folded cascode transistors Q3 + 6 (kinda darlington folded cascode).
Can you enlighten me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.