Using the new 2012 Shigaclone to create a killer high end transport - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 01:50 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried snubbers on the power supply? I've read up on them in the past and it seems the C-R-C implementation can be quite a benefit. Not sure if anyone has determined if our PS would also see any benefit.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:07 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
I have BG FK for before the 7808, and my last BG F for after it, so needless to say that's what I'm going to use there.
Hmm, I just tested my BG F 1000uF. It's reading 985uF. A bit troubling as I've found in the past for BGs to be either dead on or even a little high. I wonder in the misiing 15uF will make any difference.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:49 PM   #73
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, and the tolerance on that electrolytic capacitor is probably 20% or more so you could expect any such capacitor that measures 800 - 1200uF good as an example.
Old 9th February 2013, 02:58 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

One other thing. BGs are amazingly leaky caps when they haven't been in use. They will sometimes take up to 30 minutes of a DC bias for their leakage current to drop to typical levels. This behavior is quite different from Fine Golds or Cerrafines. I'm not sure if the leakage would affect your measured value, but you can expect it to take a while to stabilize in the circuit. The good news is that their leakage current behaves more normally after a few uses.

Enjoy your experiment.
Old 9th February 2013, 06:33 AM   #75
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Hmm, I just tested my BG F 1000uF. It's reading 985uF. A bit troubling as I've found in the past for BGs to be either dead on or even a little high. I wonder in the misiing 15uF will make any difference.
The capacitor measure OK.
To test if that capacitor is in specs or not you need to measure his ESR.
Normally a capacitor which was not in operation for more than 6 months, should be "reformatted" by connecting to a slowly increasing potential up to his nominal operating voltage. In this way the Al2O3 oxide is recreated and cap is back to his original specs.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 9th February 2013, 12:06 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. Yes, I've been working out a method to reform the caps since they haven't been used in quite some time. As I understand it, the best way to do it is to have a source which can supply a voltage up to the rating of the cap. I guess I could get my hands on a low current 50 or 60 VDC variable power supply.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:12 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

I got a message form jabrzoza reporting to me that SHIGA will not read all CD-RŽs.

Last week-end I purchased different CD-R brands and I did some tests. All CD-R have been written with Plextor Premium.
Here are my findings.

Shiga will read without any errors and skips all Taiyo-Yuden CDŽs (JVC for proffesional or Verbatim made in Japan) even I write them with audiomaster or gigarec option from 0,6 to 0.9.
Samsung Pleomax, Kodak Gold, Memorex and Sony are very good, but gigarec at 0.9 will generate great amount of C1 errors (checked with Plextools). However, Shiga will read them without any problems. Maybe I should adjust Plextor laser power as well ...
On Verbatim made in China/India, TDK and Traxdata some disks will have skips or Shiga will fail to read.
All disks written on Serioux, Maxell and Estelle will fail. No TOC reading. C1 and C2 errors reported by Plextools have been huge.

For CD-RW, I have tested only Verbatim (made for EU, no exact source indicated on label) and these are working perfect.

So far this are my findings and IŽll continue to test other brands as well.

In case you want to rip your CD collection and put on CD-R, my advice is to go for Taiyo Yuden disks. These are incontestable the best recordable CDŽs.

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-10-062.jpg (791.3 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-10-061.jpg (839.2 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by tvicol; 12th February 2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:59 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
In case you want to rip your CD collection and put on CD-R, my advice is to go for Taiyo Yuden disks. These are incontestable the best recordable CDŽs.
+1. They are the best out there.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:57 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
Normally a capacitor which was not in operation for more than 6 months, should be "reformatted" by connecting to a slowly increasing potential up to his nominal operating voltage.
Okay. I borrowed my friend's HP 6294A power supply. It is rated to 60 VDC, and can be set in either constant voltage or constant current mode. Based on what I've read, if I set this up to provide a constant current of about 10 mA it should be sufficient to slowly reform my old caps. Or should I set it up in constant voltage mode (to the cap's rated voltage) with a current limiting resistor in series?
Old 13th February 2013, 06:56 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Tony,

To be sure that reforming process is working, please try to get an ESR and measure ESR capacitor first. The value after reforming must be considerably lower, in some cases by an order of magnitude.
Start to reform the capacitor by using a 100K resistor at half of his nominal rated voltage and measure the potential across. The voltage should decrease slowly till 0V or near 0V. If you measure any potential across resistor this is caused by the leakage current. As the cap is reforming the potential is going to -> 0V.
After a while (few hours) youŽll see no more decrease in potential across resistor. Discharge capacitor trough a 10K resistor, let him one hour and discharge again.
Now is time to reform at nominal voltage. Use a 10K resistor this time. The process will be faster. Measure potential across 10K resistor and if possible monitor with a data collector multimeter.
Depending on capacitor electrolytic and his degradation youŽll get an interesting graph.
Leave the cap 24h.
Disconnect, discharge using a 10K resistor and leave the cap 1h, discharge again. Measure ESR.
The cap should be ready for use.

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!