Using the new 2012 Shigaclone to create a killer high end transport - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2013, 08:13 AM   #111
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
With my new Blue ESR meter my BG F 2200 uF reads .01 Ohm ESR before reforming. I guess that's okay, based on what I've read.
It is in specs, however a LOW ESR 2200uF cap will indicate 0.00 Ohm

Regards,
Tibi
Old 25th February 2013, 08:19 AM   #112
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

.01 can in fact be close to 0.005
Old 25th February 2013, 08:23 AM   #113
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBdV View Post
.01 can in fact be close to 0.005
I have same ESR meter and for organic semiconductor cap over 100uF/50V I get 0.00
Blue ESR is working at 100KHz.
With advancedevices smat tweezers I get other results, but this is working at 10KHz.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by tvicol; 25th February 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:34 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Tibi, you know we all have the greatest respect for what you've done , but in the items you've listed which have improved the Shoga, can you describe "how" it has improved in terms of its sound qualities, soundtsgaing, articulation, smoothness etc?

I'm worried that at some point this thing is going to get so good that improvements may become subjective.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:52 AM   #115
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Tibi, you know we all have the greatest respect for what you've done , but in the items you've listed which have improved the Shoga, can you describe "how" it has improved in terms of its sound qualities, soundtsgaing, articulation, smoothness etc?

I'm worried that at some point this thing is going to get so good that improvements may become subjective.
I said once and I repeat, Im not the man to comment my own design/product. Sorry, Im not a marketing man.

Beside this, all improvements are highly related to the system each of us is using and of course, personal taste.

What I can tell you is that Im usualy looking for better instruments separation, body and clarity, while keeping musicality. Im also paying very close attention to attack and decay.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by tvicol; 25th February 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 25th February 2013, 04:47 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
What I can tell you is that Im usualy looking for better instruments separation, body and clarity, while keeping musicality. Im also paying very close attention to attack and decay.

Regards,
Tibi
That sir, is a good set of standards. Enough to put your comments into some perspective. Thank you.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:49 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Start to reform the capacitor by using a 100K resistor at half of his nominal rated voltage and measure the potential across. The voltage should decrease slowly till 0V or near 0V. If you measure any potential across resistor this is caused by the leakage current. As the cap is reforming the potential is going to -> 0V.
After a while (few hours) youll see no more decrease in potential across resistor. Discharge capacitor trough a 10K resistor, let him one hour and discharge again.
Now is time to reform at nominal voltage. Use a 10K resistor this time. The process will be faster. Measure potential across 10K resistor and if possible monitor with a data collector multimeter.
The cap forming started last night at 8 PM. I was happy to see that it did not explode when I walked away. Voltage across the 100 KOhm resistor went down as expected. It went down to less than ~200 mV within 1 hour. As of this morning it was down to 11 mV. Wondering how far to push it before I say the first phase is done.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:27 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Ha ha! After the forming my BG "F" 1000uF cap now reads 992uF (it originally read 985), with an ESR of .01 Ohm.
Old 11th March 2013, 01:30 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tony,

I didnt say that BG are not good in this regard. I just only wanted to highlight what specs are relevant and you should look for in case of upgrade.

C62 dont need to be so fancy. MKP was a handy and pricewise solution. A better cap in that position may by a PIO, same value, but substantially bigger in size.
Also a 100nF/400V PIO in primary side of the trafo can have a great effect. Just try and youll be surprised.

C66 can be any value between 1nF - 22nF and I know only few manufacturers - one is Cornell Dubilier.

Regards,
Tibi
Tibi, with regard to C66, on the schematic you have it listed as a NPO. Is a silver mica better in this position than the NPO?
Old 11th March 2013, 03:44 AM   #120
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Also a 100nF/400V PIO in primary side of the trafo can have a great effect. Just try and youll be surprised.
Hi Tibi,
How do you connect the 100nF to the primary side of the transformer? Is it just connect the PIO to the 0V and 220V on the primary AC input of the transformer?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!