Using the new 2012 Shigaclone to create a killer high end transport

Tibi, not sure if I can track down an ESR meter. With regard to your method, however, shouldn't the use of the resistors not be needed if I have a constant current power supply? That's really all the resistors are doing in this case - insuring a small current to the caps during the forming process.

Tibi, not sure if I can track down an ESR meter. With regard to your method, however, shouldn't the use of the resistors not be needed if I have a constant current power supply? That's really all the resistors are doing in this case - insuring a small current to the caps during the forming process.

In fact resistor will act like a variable ccs. While the voltage is dropping the current will drop as well protecting the cap from overheating.

Regards,
Tibi

Well, we already done that. :D

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 20130213_203834.jpg
    20130213_203834.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 397
In fact resistor will act like a variable ccs. While the voltage is dropping the current will drop as well protecting the cap from overheating.

Regards,
Tibi

I have the power supply and will be doing the cap forming maybe tonight or tomorrow. The HP supply is a variable DC supply that can be set for constant voltage / constant current, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do.

I was thinking of setting up a cap with the 100KOhm resistor in series and then ramping up the voltage slowly until I get to 50 VDC. Or should I just set the voltage to 50 VDC, turn off the supply, hook everything up, and turn it back on?

Thanks a lot for the quick answer
So motors still get power from J6 if we use separate V1,V2,V3,V4 ?
Do you mind posting what voltages/amperages are needed for each Vx?

V1=V2=V3=V4=5V

For V1 current should be between 30mA and 60mA or more depending on disk type (CD,CD-R or CD-RW) and speed. An 150mA should be enough.
For V2 current is ~40mA. An 5V at 100mA should cover the need.
For V3 current is ~20mA or less. 50mA should be OK.
For V4 current is ~ 50mA. 100mA should be OK.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:

Regards,
Tibi

I just bought a Blue ESR meter! Hope to have it by Saturday. Better safe than sorry. I want to show progress as quickly as possible Tibi ;), but apart from the two Shigas on my plate I'm also trying to finish mods to my (vinyl) turntable and completing the construction of a constrained layer platform for same.

Well there are many other combinations as well. It´s up to your imagination how to combine them.

If you want to use separate 5V supply for V4, you need to remove L4 & L5 beads. Than, you can power the rest of Shiga via a separate 5V for V3 without removing L1, L2 & L3 beads.
Main 8V should be present as well via J6.

Hope is clear. :)

Regards,
Tibi