Universal hi-end hybrid output stage for DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, I thought I was wrong going in similar direction, or I was just too lucky that it sounded so good. So it is not a bad direction at all. But the resolution really depends on the quality of the power supply. Must be decided by listening test. Shunt, coils...

All I meant was that it's been shown that a passive I/V resistor's value strongly affects the distortion performance of current output DACs. The lower the resistor's value, the lower the distortion. So, I don't see passive I/V as being the highest possible resolution, though my own design doesn't have a zero input impedance either, but it's pretty dang low. Anyway, good luck with your project.

pcb ready

USB DAC 2 - Hi-Resolution System

It can be used with any balanced output DAC chip like AD1955, PCM179x, ES9018, CS439x, AK439x.

Can you tell us more about your preference for the AD1955 over the PCM179X? I have already read the very brief comments given in the DAC comparison chart on your homepage, but I'm hoping you might provide a more in-depth opinion on those two chips.

All I meant was that it's been shown that a passive I/V resistor's value strongly affects the distortion performance of current output DACs.

Strongly? Has been shown? Can you show figures? Harmonic spectra?

Current output dacs are not all the same. Within limits most can tolerate output voltage without particular rise in distortion. Ime 20-30ohms at the output of 1794 work just fine. No clue about the 1955 though.

Besides, even if there is a minor rise in distortion, it's insignificant in the context of a tube output stage.

Last edited:
last photo of balanced version

Attachments

• OutputBal3b.jpg
    OutputBal3b.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 442
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.