Thomson LAD500 CDP Should I fix this or junk it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This 3Disk CD player was my kitchen component player for few years now. I picked this player next to nothing few years back but any attempt in getting some info about it failed miserably... I kind of always liked its sound... But never critically listened it, or used it with half decent gear or did a A/B test to see how good it actually is.. I was running an old Pioneer SX636 receiver and two small Technics bookshelf speakers with it..

Today something popped inside and it stopped working. So I anyway decided to open it up and take a look. And while I was at it, I started thinking whether I should recapp and give this player a new life? I opened it as took out the board and here are the chips I found inside

Sanyo LC78835M :- 8X Oversampling DAC
Sony CXD2500BQ :- CD Digital Signal Processor
Sony CXA1372AQ:- RF Signal Processing Servo Amp
ST L272M :- Dual Power OP-AMPs
ST LM339N :- Low-power quad voltage comparators
BA4558 :- Dual OP-Amps
All electrolytic caps are Rubycon or Panasonic.

I understand that Op-Amps like BA4558 is very very entry level. How about the DAC? Sanyo LC78835M is it very mediocre too? What do you think of the expected quality from the component selection such as above? By the way it has a nice power supply with E-I core transformer and two 4800MFD Panasonic Caps as power supply filter caps. Out put is through a RCA cable.

This is the unit

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attached are some pics of the PCB
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nobody's interested in my Aiwa, either :(

Why doesn't your Thomson work? There seems little point in discussing its merits until the fault is identified.

If it can be fixed and made reliable, then at least it would serve its current purpose.

Beyond that, much depends on the circuit, and you probably won't be able to find a diagram. There are many cheaply available machines that are well documented and of known quality.

I find reliable cheap commodity players really interesting, but they aren't usually worth improving. Get it working reliably, listen critically and then decide if it's worth a recap and perhaps an opamp swap.

I fixed it... It was a mammoth task... took a whole weekend... I recapped all electrolytic-caps too.. Total component cost under USD$25 including an OPamp upgrade. NE5532P was used after a socket installed instead of BA4558. It sounds better now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.