Is my cd motor ok? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
kolobos is offline kolobos  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Is my cd motor ok?

Hi, I am about to replace my CDM 12.4 optical lense and noticed that the drive motor for spinning the cd seems different to other motors driving cds. Basically when i turn it by hand it gets to about 175 degrees and then slips the next 5 degrees by itself like its dropping into a groove or is being pulled by a magnet?

I've not experianced this before, is it normal for the type of drive or could it be that what is causing my cd's not to play rather than the optical lense? other cd drives that i have turn with ease.

The unit is from my NSM Jukebox and any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Steve...
Old 20th July 2012, 05:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
There are two types of spindle motor I saw in PC CDROM´s: DC motor, with a couple of magnets, a winded rotor and two brush to carry electricity to the rotor, and some other a three phase AC motor who has the magnetized rotor (so no brush) and wired stator, and driven by a dedicated IC. In both cases the motor MUST stop in any way when no power is coming into it.
Old 20th July 2012, 05:38 PM   #3
kolobos is offline kolobos  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many thanks, it's definately being pulled by a magnet and your info has helped put my mind at rest.

Thank you.
Old 20th July 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Rest the mind is OK, but never to sleep!!!.
Old 20th July 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Powerful motors will often exhibit the phenomena that you are seeing as the metal components are attracted towards the magnets.

CD motors, particularly older Pioneer motors did fail regularly. They appeared to work but weren't "agile" enough for the task in hand.
Old 20th July 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I found several IC 3 phase driver burned fire or shortcircuited or dissimilar output at each phase. But fired wasn't uncommon.

In the age of 24 and 32X, there was a kind of IC contoller, that run on a 3 phase motor, that (I don't know why) the IC lost control of disk speed, and then the disc exploded in several small pieces. It run in about one million turns per second.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 20th July 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!