Need a new CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My old slightly modified NAD C520 has taken to skipping a bit. ( Help, could not play err. Help!) Excuse for something newer. An overarching requirement is depth of a 12 inch shelf which limits me to NAD and Arcam. So for $800, I can get a 565BEE or CD17. Two questions, do they need anything? , as in should I keep my paws out of them or can they use a little help internally, and two, what are one's preferences out there?

NAD reliability in the past has not been stellar, and I know nothing about Arcam. Yea. I still like to play a CD rather than build a music server. I am old you see. I don't own an "i" anything.

I remember seeing a Toshiba DVD player described as being good for audio CDs somewhere. And I've noticed various DVD players claiming to have 24/96 DACs when browsing at the Salvation Army. It's not a lot of money to gamble. FWIW, my Sony DVP-NS75H is only 8.25" deep (and an excellent upconverting player for the money, with rewind and single-frame ability that rivals a jog-shuttle VCR or laserdisc player).

If I was going to recommend a CD player, I might suggest a Rotel, mainly because of a hilarious review by Corey Greenberg, although since that review dates from 1992, "new" doesn't exactly apply. Anyway, the RCD-955AX (16 bit) was 12.5" deep, which may just work for you.

Yea, DVD players are fine transports and most are nice and small. I am very impatient and HATE how long they take to do anything. I like the old stupid CD player when you can turn it on, open the tray, and push play. I don't like to wait for it to boot and think about it. You can imagine what I think of a BD running Java. Even my "fast boot" Panasonic. Darn, would someone PLEASE write all that stuff in C so it boots while I am still alive? Assembly would be better.

I actually do have a pretty good external DAC. Chinese special with BB chipset. I just need to build a good power supply for it. What concerns me is the quality of the transport and digital portion before the DAC. From the slick sheets, there are considerable differences there as well. Buying the $300 NAD sure beats $800. (or $500 for a refurb). The transport is a section I would not want to get my hands into. Power supplies, analog etc, right at home. So, what transports would you suggest?

Unfortunately, the 12 1/2 won't fit. I have an RCD 1070 in my living room system and like it very much. Big honker though. The space rules out Marantz, Denon ( I have an extra DVD SACD Denon), Onk, Cambridge and just about everything else. Some old Adcom's will fit but they too are getting long in the tooth. I really need to be able to plug in my 90 degree RCA's and cord with it still fitting flush with 12 inches exactly. I would even be willing to cut the case and move the power and cables to the top back edge if the total depth, wall to front edge was under 12. Dreaming, but black with gold to match my ST-7 and CA-5 Nak it sits next to would be nice. I have never had a matched system.

I have a BDP-120, and for sure Pioneer does know a little about audio. Still I have never had a DVD that was fast enough not to tick me off. I'll try and find a DV-300.
I saw the Shigaclone. I'll read on it some more. I have SO many projects, I hate to really dive into another large one. Speakers to build, amps to build, and making my test rig portable. I just need a top notch CD for my office system, which it turns out I use more than any other. Wonder if I could put the Shigaclone into an old Nak cabinet?

Well the 565 is more detailed than the old C530 that's for sure. Works like a CD. Open, play, music. As I improved my preamp, passive to a Nak CA-5, and did several mods to the DH-120, a lot more is clear. Of course, how bad these early records were mastered is one!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.