Beginners help Needed adding spdif input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

as a complete beginner could some let me know if the folowing is possible.

I have a broken philips LX3000D home cinema system, the audio section works fine but the dvd player no longer plays discs.

I was wondering if it is possible to add an spdif coaxial input to this system so I can use it as surround sound system in a spare room.

From what I work out the system has an ES6018 Vibratto chip which feeds a CS4360 Dac

the ES6018 pin outs include the following

TWS Pin 32 O Audio transmit frame sync.
SEL_PLL2 I System and DSCK output clock frequency selection is made at the rising edge of
RESET#. The matrix below lists the available clock frequencies and their respective
PLL bit settings.

TSD0 Pin 33 O Audio transmit serial data port 0.
SEL_PLL0 I Refer to the description and matrix for SEL_PLL2 pin 32.

TSD1 Pin 36 O Audio transmit serial data port 1.
SEL_PLL1 I Refer to the description and matrix for SEL_PLL2 pin 32.

TSD[2] 37 O Audio transmit serial data output 2.
TSD[3] 38 O Audio transmit serial data output 3.

these pins the feed something called RA8 which seems to a set of resistors I think

the philips manual says RA8 is a RES Array 4X33R 1/10w 5%

the other side of RA8 then feeds IC10 which is the cs4360 chip

the pins on the cs4360 chip are as follows

Pin1 VLS
Pin2 SDIN1
Pin3 SDIN2
Pin4 SDIN3
Pin5 SCLK
Pin6 LRCK
Pin7 MCLK

I think the connections are as follows

ES6018 > RA8 > CS4360

Pin32 -> RA8 -> Pin6
Pin33 -> RA8 -> Pin2
Pin36 -> RA8 -> Pin3
Pin37 -> RA8 -> Pin4

Would be possible (although very difficult as they are very small !!) to solder a co-axial connection to the input side of RA8 so that I could attach the spdif co-axial output from a satallite tv box to this unit to use its surround sound capabilities which are currently going to waste, and if so which of the connections should I use.

I have the service manual for the lx3000d and the datasheets for the es6018 and cs4360 chips if they would be any help I can extract the relevant sections.

As I said I'm a complete novice so my whole idea might be ridiculous, if so just say so and I'll forget it, but if its possible even if its no where near where I think it can be done please suggest a method which would be possible.

best wishes

Tkgafs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.