Philips CDM's and servicenrs. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2003, 08:13 AM   #1
EDUM is offline EDUM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Philips CDM's and servicenrs.

Hello,

Please find attached a list of (old) Philips CDM's and their servicenrs. Although this info was publicly available (1997) it seems to be forgotten. Therefore I thought this info might be handy.

If you do not find the CDM used in your player carefully check the identification.
Please note that there are many different reasons for a factory, service organisation or supplyorganisation to use/ change/ replace a codenr. It makes the search a bit harder , but not inpossible.

Ward
Attached Files
File Type: txt cdm.txt (1.8 KB, 1065 views)
Old 14th October 2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, nice info
Thank you

/Hugo
Old 14th October 2003, 11:31 AM   #3
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Ward,

You seem to be well informed on those old swingarms.
Got an cdm3 (from a DIGITAL cdrom player). Could this be
used instead of other cdm types? It is nearly impossible to fine a player with a broken cdm3, since there were only a few using it.
Thinking of laser current and motors, not so much connections.

btw, heard that next to cost issues, there was an other reason to go to newer cdm types: there were some resonance problems (maybe only with the plastic parts, so that's why there are so many cdm2/4/9)

Allthough cmd0/1 are great cdm's, they usually come with 70xx chipset and 1540 DAC's in the player. It is easier to use later cdm2/4 models with IC's (7210/7220/7310) which have datasheets available (on the net).

Another cdm1 model: the second B&O player (cd-x =philips internally).

Groetjes,

GuidoB

PS, for the guys that know my 2*1541 DAC. Got it up and running with two 1:15 amplimo mic transformers. Seems to be very good, tom i am going to listen on a good installation (mine is being reworked...).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd3.jpg (10.1 KB, 1654 views)
Old 14th October 2003, 12:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Guido

Can you please explain the resonance problem you referred to.
I have an old Philips CD303 with this style of mechanism and it occasionally makes some very loud vibrating noises,( mechanical) like a whistle and the laser stops reading.
It seems to be some sort of resonance in the sliding tray mechanism that holds the laser and motor
Old 14th October 2003, 12:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Guido,

I mentioned the cdm3 as mainly used for car applications. But you are right. Cdm3 was used for CD-ROM as well. CDM3 was an unfortunate project. As the intended applications were in a heavy shock/vibrations or high radial-access areas the demands were high. After the low cost CDM2 this was again a metal cdm. Some considerable efforts were made to make it working. Unfortunately the learning curves for car based systems and CD-ROM were done with cdm3. Combined with internal discussions about swing arms, cost savings and indeed a quality which was not as reliable as needed this was an unlucky project. I have seen samples outperforming cdm1, but also seen them failing painfully. At the moment the design was stable its moment was already gone.

Cdm3 comes with a lot of integrated items like laser powersupply, photodiode processing, servo. Check a carplayer such as 22DC085 for more details. A cdm3 is not the most easy base for a diy project.

But...

You basicly need a stable tracking to play a disc. If you do not need a fancy user interface you can use a CD-ROM or carplayer as base. What you do with the HF is relatively free to decide.

Success!

I did not mention B&O as cdm's were not available via Philips Service. As the cdm's used by B&O have a factory codenr. tracing a cdm back to Philips should be possible.

Ward
Old 14th October 2003, 12:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello George A

According to my information CD303 has a cdm1 mechanism.

You know there is a service mode/loop for that player. You can go through the service loops and find the fault. Mostly it is something like pressing the power-on button and play button at the same time during switching-on. With the NEXT button you select the service loops one by one. I do not know the exact buttons by heart, but it is very easy to determine. If you can, use the service docs.

Success

Ward
Old 14th October 2003, 04:21 PM   #7
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Ward,

This is really 'inside information'. Great! Got mine from a CD ROM player, but it was scsi and no front controls. It did 'play' the audio disks.

As it also was using a cd cartridge, i descided to take it apart.
Should not have done that, i know now (it was unused..)

Anyway,

I'm using a cd650 now with cdm2 for my own 'projects'. works fine, plays all. Have a new cdm4 spare (the one that fits like cdm2).

Also have two marantz players with cdm4 and a few spare cdm's (5 euro in germany recently) The cd60 i got is a great player, however i still need to fix it.

Got the B&O cheap because it was dead. It's now alive again.
Just for nostalgia.

....Other cdm1 usage: wurlitzer!!

Pics of the players/cdm's all over this forum, but you know them already i think.

GuidoB (!=GuidoT !)
Old 14th October 2003, 05:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ward, do you perhaps know what the differences between versions like for example cdm 4/23 and cdm 4/19 are ?

I know the differences betweens some of the versions ( base plate etc. ) but I suspect there are differences in laser quality/properties ( and maybe the spindle motor ) as well. Unfortunately it seems this information got lost in time ...

Regards,

Jean-Paul
Old 15th October 2003, 07:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello Jean-Paul,

Let me see what I can find for you. As I am out today for a little investigation on the subject of "PC based Audio measuring equipment"(a new thread when finished) I probably have some answers tomorow.

Ward
Old 15th October 2003, 03:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
Hello Ward, do you perhaps know what the differences between versions like for example cdm 4/23 and cdm 4/19 are ?

I know the differences betweens some of the versions ( base plate etc. ) but I suspect there are differences in laser quality/properties ( and maybe the spindle motor ) as well. Unfortunately it seems this information got lost in time ...

Regards,

Jean-Paul
There's also a CDM 4/28. That's the original mechanism in my CD 72mkII SE. It seems to be compatible with the CDM 4/19.

Hide this!Advertise here!