cdpro2 using pic18f452 for control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Managed to get the cdpro2 module working with a PIC18F452, and playing music with the built-in dac today. :) Next up is to get the pcb made for this project. I will be using the pcm1792/4 along with the ad1896a. I am prototyping it now.

Overview of testing setup:

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-01-overview.jpg
    cdpro2-01-overview.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,180
Joined 2002
Here is a closeup of the transport, showing the power going in from the regulators, and then the audio coming out from the built-in dac on the other side. Once I get the prototype dac finished, I will use the i2s interface instead.

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-04-power_in.jpg
    cdpro2-04-power_in.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,963
Joined 2002
Current regulators used, both LM317T adjustable (had them on hand). They are being fed a couple of volts above what the are regulating to, so they are running nice and cool. I haven't decided what to use for the regulation on the final prototype, but this is working fine now. Any suggestions for the power supply for +5 and +9?

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-05-regs.jpg
    cdpro2-05-regs.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,893
Joined 2002
Here is a picture of the PIC microcontroller board that I am currently using. It utilizes the PIC18F452, and I added 5 buttons for testing for now (will show other buttons later). They are all tied into a single ADC pin on the PIC, so they can be extended to a lot more buttons easily, while still taking one pin.

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-06-pic18f452.jpg
    cdpro2-06-pic18f452.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,856
Joined 2002
JasonL said:
looks good. how does it sound so far just as all stock stuff?

heh.. I haven't gotten to the point of listening to it in a detailed manner. If you look at the first picture, you will see one of the 2 speakers used for listening to it... they are cheap speakers the I cut up to wire into my opamp output stage. I don't expect much from the built-in dac, since I am using an external dac, fed by i2s from the transport. Now, it plays music, and the control buttons work, allowing you to pause, stop, play, and change tracks. The lcd displays the current time and track correctly.

I expect it to be a while until I can listen to it in a final prototype form. For the dac now, I am just verifying that it works as wired on a protoboard. I won't give it a detailed listening until I get the pcb done.

Here are the chips that I have been playing around with for the dac, I think that I have settled on the pcm1792, along with the AD1896a for now. I probably will switch to the TI SRC4192 once I am able to obtain some of them. I should be posting details on the digital side of the dac once I finish getting the schematic worked out.

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-09-dac_chips.jpg
    cdpro2-09-dac_chips.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,865
Joined 2002
Here is what I am going to use for the buttons (I will have them set into my aluminum front panel. I think that they will work fine for now. I haven't been able to find anything else that I like. I just have the bottom 9 buttons wired up now, and haven't decided if I want the "direct access" buttons on the transport.

They are taken from an old Luxman D-112 player.

--
Brian

Attachments

• cdpro2-07-front_buttons.jpg
    cdpro2-07-front_buttons.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,786
Joined 2002
vt4c said:
Fantastic work! Does your code includes RC control as well? Where to get the source code?

IR code is being modified now to work with the remote control that I picked out for the project. e-mail me if you want source code. It is written for the htsoft picc18 c compiler, which you can get a free 1 month evaluation version of.

--
Brian

I like the box..

Hi BrianGT

cool looking display .. but what I like more is the enclosure :D
How much did it cost ? where did you get it from ? only kidding !

Don't go for the Luxman one. This one has much more character ! Please make a note of the sonic differences : I bet if you use the Luxman case it will sound worse ;)

cheers

Stelios

BrianGT said:
closeup. Power supply on the left, regulating both 5v and 9v for the transport. Below the regulators is an inverting opamp with a little bit of gain to get some music playing out of the speakers.

--
Brian

BrianGT said:
Here is a closeup of the lcd that I am using, an Optrex 20x2 blue C505 one, identical to the ones used in the Apox kits.

--
Brian

The VFD look like good quality!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.